Quick question from none math/physics guy

• Thread starter ivan86s
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the person looking for a book that explains current events in quantum physics, string theory, and quantum loop gravity in a way that is understandable for the average person. They do not want a book full of math, but they do have a background in math and science from chemical engineering courses. One recommendation given is "When the Universe took a U-turn" by B.G. Sidharth.
ivan86s
I'm looking for a book that would explain/enlighten me about the current events in quantum physics/string theory/quantum loop gravity, and other theories in that field. I'm not looking for a physics book that's full of math thought, I'm more looking for a book that's more targeted for common people (99.9999% of us), (that was a joke). However I'm not looking for any fiction books.So if you have any suggestions/recommendations that would be great, thanks.

P.S. I do have some math/science background from chemical engineering courses so I would like a book that's not too math-shallow.

Physics news on Phys.org
One suggestion would be B.G. Sidharth, "When the Universe took a U-turn."

1. What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach to answering questions and solving problems through observation, experimentation, and data analysis. It involves formulating a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

2. How do scientists communicate their findings?

Scientists communicate their findings through scientific publications, conferences, and presentations. They also use various forms of media such as journals, books, and online platforms to share their research with the scientific community and the general public.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is an educated guess or prediction about a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon based on extensive research and evidence.

4. How do scientists ensure the validity of their experiments?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the validity of their experiments, including controlling variables, conducting multiple trials, and using statistical analysis to analyze the data. They also follow strict ethical guidelines and use peer review to evaluate the credibility of their research.

5. What is the role of ethics in scientific research?

Ethics play a crucial role in scientific research as they ensure that experiments are conducted responsibly and with respect for all living beings. Scientists must follow ethical guidelines to protect the welfare of human and animal subjects, maintain the integrity of their research, and promote social responsibility in the scientific community.