Mech Eng Major & Aero Eng Minor?

In summary, the person is currently a Mechanical Engineering major and plans to do a minor in Aerospace Engineering. They hope to pursue a career in Aerospace Engineering and are considering doing their Masters in this field. It is mentioned that having a minor in Aerospace Engineering is not necessary and having a strong academic background in both fields is important.
reazon1n1
Mech Eng Major & Aero Eng Minor?

I aim to be an Aerospace Eng. Currently I am a Mechanical Eng major @ Lehigh University. I plan to do a minor in Aerospace Eng. I want to do my Masters in Aerospace Eng at one of the top ranking colleges(hopefully) and pursue a career in this field. Is this (Mech Eng major and Aerospace Eng minor) a choice good?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org

It is a good choice if it is what you want to do. No one can really tell you if it is the right choice for you though. You have to figure that out on your own. Many mechanical engineers do graduate programs in aerospace engineers, regardless of whether they did a "minor" in aerospace during their undergraduate years. All you really have to do is have the grades since the two majors are closely related.

That said, it is definitely a good idea to give your mechanical curriculum an aerospace flair, whether you have a "minor" or not. My school didn't offer a minor in aerospace, so I just took a handful of extra fluids classes and it worked out great for me when I got to graduate school.

1. What is the difference between a mechanical engineering major and an aerospace engineering minor?

The main difference between a mechanical engineering major and an aerospace engineering minor is the focus of the coursework. Mechanical engineering deals with the design and development of mechanical systems, while aerospace engineering specifically focuses on aircraft and spacecraft design. Additionally, an aerospace engineering minor may have more specialized courses related to aerodynamics and propulsion.

2. Can I pursue a career in aerospace engineering with a mechanical engineering major and aerospace engineering minor?

Yes, having a mechanical engineering major and an aerospace engineering minor can open up career opportunities in the aerospace industry. Many employers value a diverse skill set and having knowledge in both mechanical and aerospace engineering can make you a well-rounded candidate for jobs in this field.

3. What are some common courses in a mechanical engineering major and aerospace engineering minor?

Some common courses in a mechanical engineering major may include thermodynamics, mechanics, materials science, and fluid mechanics. In an aerospace engineering minor, you may take courses such as aircraft design, aerospace structures, and aerodynamics.

4. Is it possible to switch from a mechanical engineering major to an aerospace engineering major?

It is possible to switch majors, but it may require additional courses and time to complete both majors. Depending on the university, some courses may overlap between the two majors, making the switch easier. It is best to consult with an academic advisor to see what options are available.

5. What are some career options for someone with a mechanical engineering major and aerospace engineering minor?

Some career options for someone with this combination of majors include working in the aerospace industry as an aircraft or spacecraft designer, a mechanical engineer in manufacturing and production, a research and development engineer, or a design engineer. This degree combination can also open up opportunities in other industries, such as automotive, energy, and robotics.