Statics, moment of inertia simple square-shape (no calculus)

In summary, the moment of inertia to the central axes Xc and Yc for the given cross-section is:Ix = 1.008 x 10^8 mm^4 and Iy = 1.085 x 10^7 mm^4. The distance for the smaller rectangle should be 36.1 mm instead of 110/2-33.9 mm.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Statics, moment of inertia simple square-shape...need help (no calculus)

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia to the central axes Xc and Yc for the sketched cross-section.

Xc = 33.9 mm
Yc = 150 mm

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/1303/97823499.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

Moment of inertia geometrical shapes. No calculus.

Answers are

Ix = 1.008 x 10^8 mm^4
Iy = 1.085 x 10^7 mm4

The Attempt at a Solution

attached. I accidentally wrote Yc in the last equation instead of Iy...

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your horizontal distance of the smaller rectangle has been taken as if it was horizontally centered, but it's not...

I've been trying to think what you mean but I'm not sure. Are my distances incorrect?

Femme_physics said:
I've been trying to think what you mean but I'm not sure. Are my distances incorrect?

You have your distances as:
(125/2-33.9) for the larger rectangle, but (110/2-33.9) for the smaller rectangle.
The latter is incorrect.

Perhaps if you draw it on paper (accurately enough), you can measure the distances and you'll see what I mean.
Note that it's always useful to make drawings like that if only to verify no mistakes were made.

Got it! So the distance should be 125-110/2-33.9 = 36.1.

Yep, right answer now :D Merci me amora!

1. What is statics and why is it important?

Statics is a branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion. It is important because it helps us understand the behavior of structures and systems under various forces, which is essential for the design and construction of buildings, bridges, and other structures.

2. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated for a simple square-shape?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. For a simple square-shape, the moment of inertia can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect the stability of an object?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in determining the stability of an object. Objects with a higher moment of inertia are more resistant to changes in their rotational motion, making them more stable.

4. Can the moment of inertia be changed for a simple square-shape?

Yes, the moment of inertia for a simple square-shape can be changed by altering the shape or mass distribution of the object. For example, increasing the mass at the edges of the square will increase its moment of inertia, making it less stable.

5. How is the moment of inertia used in practical applications?

The moment of inertia is used in many practical applications, such as calculating the strength and stability of structures, designing rotating machinery, and predicting the behavior of objects in motion. It is also an important concept in the field of robotics and aerospace engineering.