Troubleshooting My Homemade Smoke Bombs

In summary, the speaker discusses their experience making smoke bombs using various ingredients and methods. They mention a longer drying time for their first batch but a quicker process for the second batch using synthesized potassium nitrate. However, the mixture did not fully congeal and caught fire when ignited. The speaker is seeking help to determine what went wrong.
Neptune2235
Hi,

Recently, I made a batch of smoke bombs using potassium nitrate, sugar, and baking soda (to regulate reaction speed). My first batch took about four days to dry which seemed odd, however, they produced a fair amount of smoke. For my second batch, I decided to put the potassium nitrate I synthesized from ammonium nitrate and potassium chloride (not the purest form of potassium nitrate, but it's all I had :/) into the oven on low heat to completely dry it out. After about ten-fifteen minutes the KNO3 was dry and I mixed it together with sugar (omitting the baking soda this time), however, the mixture never fully congealed. When ignited, the semi-congealed mass produced a fairly large amount of smoke and then caught fire. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sorry, we don't discuss pyrotechnics here.

1. How can I make my smoke bombs produce more smoke?

To increase the smoke output of your homemade smoke bombs, you can try adding more potassium nitrate or sugar to the mixture. You can also try using a different type of fuel, such as sawdust or powdered charcoal.

2. Why are my smoke bombs not producing any smoke?

There could be several reasons why your smoke bombs are not producing smoke. Make sure you have used the correct ratios of ingredients and that they are mixed thoroughly. Check the quality and freshness of your ingredients, as they may have expired or gone bad. Also, make sure you are using a strong enough fuse and that it is lit properly.

3. Can I add color to my smoke bombs?

Yes, you can add color to your smoke bombs by using colored dyes or food coloring. However, keep in mind that some dyes may affect the chemical reaction and could potentially make the smoke bomb less effective.

4. How do I store my homemade smoke bombs?

To ensure the longevity of your smoke bombs, store them in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. You can also wrap them in foil or plastic wrap to prevent moisture from getting in. Be sure to keep them out of reach of children and pets.

5. Are homemade smoke bombs safe to use?

Homemade smoke bombs can be dangerous if not made and used correctly. Make sure to follow proper safety precautions, such as wearing gloves and eye protection, and never use them indoors or in areas with a high fire risk. It is also important to check the legality of using smoke bombs in your area before use.