How Do You Calculate Moles of Water Vapor in Air Using Ideal Gas Law?

In summary, on a day with a temperature of 30.0°C and a relative humidity of 55%, the number of moles of water vapor per cubic meter of air can be determined using the graph provided. At 30°C, the vapor pressure of water is 4200 Pa, which corresponds to a temperature of 303K. Using the ideal gas law, the number of moles of water vapor per cubic meter of air can be calculated to be 1.67 mol/m^3. Further assistance may be needed to solve this problem.
owura143
The relative humidity is 55% on a day when the temperature is 30.0°C. Using the graph below, determine the number of moles of water vapor per cubic meter of air.

on the graph, Vapor pressure of water is on the y-axis and temperature on the x-axis 30C cordinates with 4200 Pa of water vapor.

This how i tried to sove it.

Since 30 corresponds to 4200 Pa

T in Kelvin =303
n/v = p/RT
=4200/(8.32 x 303)
= 1.67

Physics news on Phys.org
I need help with this same problem...

http://www.webassign.net/CJ/12_76.gif

That is the graph, if anyone can help.

EDIT... I really don't know where to start at all. I tried to do it (almost) the same way as owura, but I couldn't figure it out how to find it in "mol/m^3".

moles/m3

Thank you for reaching out for help with this question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you have correctly used the ideal gas law to calculate the number of moles of water vapor per cubic meter of air. Your calculation of 1.67 moles/m3 is correct. Keep in mind that this value may vary depending on the accuracy of the given data and the assumptions made in the calculation. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of gas. It is assumed to have no intermolecular forces and occupy no volume, making it easy to calculate and understand.

2. What are the assumptions of an ideal gas?

The assumptions of an ideal gas include that it is made up of identical particles with no volume, that there are no intermolecular forces between the particles, and that the particles are in constant, random motion.

3. How is the ideal gas law expressed mathematically?

The ideal gas law is expressed as PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

4. How do real gases differ from ideal gases?

Real gases have volume and experience intermolecular forces, unlike ideal gases. They also deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures.

5. What are some real-life applications of the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is used in various fields, including chemistry, physics, and engineering. It is used to calculate the behavior of gases in industrial processes, such as in the production of ammonia and the compression of natural gas. It is also used in weather forecasting and understanding the properties of the Earth's atmosphere.