No cytokinesis after mitosis in some animals?

• Thread starter moe darklight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary, in some animals and fungi, cytokinesis does not follow mitosis, resulting in a cell with more than one nucleus. This type of cell is called a syncytium and is found in both plants and animals.
moe darklight
this biology book I'm reading says that, in some animals (insects) and fungi, cytokinesis does not follow mitosis and you end up with a cell with more than one nucleus. :confused:

what are some examples? ... are these just certain types of cells within the animal? I'm guessing it would have to be or else the insect would be one giant cell :tongue:

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Yes, that happens. Such a cell is called a syncytium: all the nuclei are in a single cytoplasm.

cool thanks, I'll check that out. I vaguely remember seeing it in plant cells or a picture of a plant cell with two nuclei once, but I never knew it had a name and that it happened in animals and fungi.

1. What is cytokinesis and why is it important?

Cytokinesis is the process by which a parent cell divides into two daughter cells after mitosis. It is important because it ensures proper distribution of genetic material and cell organelles, and is essential for growth and development in organisms.

2. Why do some animals not undergo cytokinesis after mitosis?

This phenomenon is known as endoreduplication, where the genetic material duplicates without the cell dividing. It is a natural process in some animals, particularly in insects and plants, to increase cell size and metabolism.

3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of no cytokinesis after mitosis?

The advantages include increased cell size and metabolic activity, which can be beneficial for certain organisms. However, it can also lead to abnormal growth, reduced genetic diversity, and potential health issues.

4. Can endoreduplication be controlled or regulated in animals?

While endoreduplication is a natural process, it can also be triggered by external factors such as stress or injury. However, it is not fully understood how it can be controlled or regulated in animals.

5. Are there any implications of no cytokinesis after mitosis in animals for human health?

Some studies suggest that endoreduplication in humans may be linked to certain diseases, such as cancer. Further research is needed to fully understand the implications of this process on human health.