What is the Gradient of the Tangent to a Curve at a Given Point?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the gradient of a tangent to a curve at a given point. The equations and attempts at solving the problem are discussed, with the final solution being dy/dx = 4x + 3 and the point of tangency being (-1, -1). The expert provides clarification and confirms that the solution is correct.
DizzyDoo
[SOLVED] Basic Differentiation

Hi there, I've heard that this forum is the best for getting some quick help.

Find the gradient of the tangent to the curve at the given point:
y = 2x² + 3x + 5 when x = -1

Homework Equations

Right, I'm very new a this, but dy/dx is the way to go right?

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
dy/dx it, and I get:
dy/dx=4x + 3
Substitute -1 in and I get
y=-1

So I've now got two points; (-1,-1) but that's not the gradient, but I've got the feeling I'm half way there. Any help would be great thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
DizzyDoo said:
Hi there, I've heard that this forum is the best for getting some quick help.

Find the gradient of the tangent to the curve at the given point:

Homework Equations

Right, I'm very new a this, but dy/dx is the way to go right?

3. The Attempt at a Solution :
dy/dx it, and I get:
dy/dx=4x + 3
Substitute -1 in and I get
y=-1

So I've now got two points; (-1,-1) but that's not the gradient, but I've got the feeling I'm half way there. Any help would be great thanks!
Well, first of all (-1, -1) is ONE point, not two! But more important, if dy/dx= 4x+ 3, then putting x=-1 gives you dy/dx= -1, not y. At first I thought that it was a typo but then you say "that's not the gradient". It certainly IS the gradient! You are not "half way there", you are completely there!

(It is true that, if x=-1, y= 2(-1)2+ 3(-1)+ 5= 2- 3+ 5= 4. y= 4 so the graph of the function passes through the point (-1, 4). The tangent line to the curve is y= -1(x+1)+ 4 or y= -x+ 3.)

Fantastic, I can finish off the rest of the questions now. Thanks!

1. What is basic differentiation?

Basic differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point. It involves finding the slope of a curve at a given point, or the rate at which the output of a function is changing with respect to the input.

2. What are the basic rules of differentiation?

The basic rules of differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a power is equal to the power multiplied by the function to the power minus one. The product rule states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivative of the second, plus the second function times the derivative of the first. The quotient rule states that the derivative of a quotient of two functions is equal to the denominator times the derivative of the numerator, minus the numerator times the derivative of the denominator, all divided by the square of the denominator. The chain rule states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Why is differentiation important in science?

Differentiation is important in science because it allows us to understand and analyze the behavior of complex systems, such as physical processes and natural phenomena. It is used to find rates of change, determine maximum and minimum values, and solve optimization problems. It is also a fundamental tool in calculus, which is the mathematical language of science.

4. What are the applications of basic differentiation?

Basic differentiation has numerous applications in science, including physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. It is used to model and analyze physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and electric circuits. In chemistry, it is used to determine reaction rates and concentrations. In biology, it is used to study population growth and enzyme kinetics. In economics, it is used to analyze supply and demand curves and profit maximization. In engineering, it is used to design structures and optimize processes.

5. Can basic differentiation be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, basic differentiation is a powerful tool for solving real-world problems. It allows us to model and analyze complex systems and make predictions about their behavior. Many real-world problems can be formulated as optimization problems, where the goal is to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. Basic differentiation can be used to solve these problems and find the optimal solution. It is also used in data analysis to find patterns and trends in data, which can then be used to make predictions and inform decision-making.