Electron in potential well equation

In summary, the conversation discussed the Schrödinger equation for an electron confined in a one-dimensional potential well. The equation includes a term for the momentum operator squared and the potential, which is represented by V(x). The potential is 0 inside the well and has a constant value or is infinite outside the well. The conversation also touched on the differences between the infinite and finite potential well and the importance of boundary conditions in determining the wave function. One participant also learned about the normalization constants in the piecewise defined wave function.
AmyJ
Hφ(x) =((p2op)/2m + V(x))φ(x) = (-hbar2/2m.d2/dx2+ V(x)φ(x) = E φ(x)

This equation is supposed to relate to an electron confined in a one-dimensional potential well. I'm really confused about where it comes from and I do not know what V(x) represents. If anyone could help explain this, I'd be very grateful :D

Physics news on Phys.org
umm no that's not the eqn for a particle in a 1d potential well

-hbar^2/2m.d^2/dx^2 = E φ(x) with the apropo boundary conditions is the eqn that describes a particle in a 1d well.

ice109 said:

*scratch my head*

But of course it is. Ok, there is a closing bracket missing after the V(x), but I guess it is a typo.

This is the standard Schrödinger equation for a particle. I do not know, on which level your knowledge of physics is, but I suppose: Either you know, what a Schrödinger equation is or you need a crash course in quantum mechanics.

The V(x) is the potential you have, so in case of a potential well it will be 0 for x inside the potential well and will be infinite or have some fixed value (depending on whether your potential well has finite or infinite height) for x outside the potential well.

Cthugha said:
*scratch my head*

But of course it is. Ok, there is a closing bracket missing after the V(x), but I guess it is a typo.

This is the standard Schrödinger equation for a particle. I do not know, on which level your knowledge of physics is, but I suppose: Either you know, what a Schrödinger equation is or you need a crash course in quantum mechanics.

The V(x) is the potential you have, so in case of a potential well it will be 0 for x inside the potential well and will be infinite or have some fixed value (depending on whether your potential well has finite or infinite height) for x outside the potential well.

:rolleyes: and what does v(x) = 0 imply for the shrodinger eqn?

nowhere in the actual shrodinger differential eqn is the fact that the particle is in a square well expressed except that v(x) = 0. hence what i said stands.

ice109 said:
nowhere in the actual shrodinger differential eqn is the fact that the particle is in a square well expressed except that v(x) = 0. hence what i said stands.

V(x) is 0 for x>a and x<b if a and b denote the left and right border of the well. However V(x) has some constant value C or is infinite outside the potential well, which is the reason for the "short version" of just applying boundary conditions in the infinite case.

I agree, that this is not very different from using a Schrödinger equation without potential and just applying some boundary conditions in the case of the infinite potential well. In the potential well with finite height however, for the bound state you will find wavefunctions, which are not 0 outside the potential well, but fall off exponentially and the wave function must be continuuous and differentiable at the borders of the well. In this case the exact height of the potential outside the well is needed to determine the normalization constants of the piecewise defined wave function.

Thanks for the help :D. I see now that it is just the time-independent schrodinger equation, and that the potential is zero inside the well.

ice109 said:

-hbar^2/2m.d^2/dx^2 = E φ(x) with the apropo boundary conditions is the eqn that describes a particle in a 1d well.

That's the same equation that I had. The term -hbar^2/2m.d^2/dx^2 was written as the mometum operator squared, pop^2. I see where it comes from now, thanks :)

Cthugha said:
V(x) is 0 for x>a and x<b if a and b denote the left and right border of the well. However V(x) has some constant value C or is infinite outside the potential well, which is the reason for the "short version" of just applying boundary conditions in the infinite case.

I agree, that this is not very different from using a Schrödinger equation without potential and just applying some boundary conditions in the case of the infinite potential well. In the potential well with finite height however, for the bound state you will find wavefunctions, which are not 0 outside the potential well, but fall off exponentially and the wave function must be continuuous and differentiable at the borders of the well. In this case the exact height of the potential outside the well is needed to determine the normalization constants of the piecewise defined wave function.

now that is actually something i did not know till yesterday.

FAQ: Electron in potential well equation

What is the "Electron in potential well equation"?

The "Electron in potential well equation" is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of an electron confined in a potential well. It takes into account the potential energy of the electron and the kinetic energy associated with its motion inside the well.

What is a potential well?

A potential well is a region in space where the potential energy of a particle is lower than its surroundings. In the context of the "Electron in potential well equation", it refers to a region where the electron is confined due to the presence of a barrier or potential energy barrier.

What is the significance of the "Electron in potential well equation" in physics?

The "Electron in potential well equation" is significant in physics as it helps us understand the behavior of particles confined in a potential well, which is a common phenomenon in many fields such as quantum mechanics, solid state physics, and nanoscience. It also has practical applications in the design of electronic devices and materials.

How is the "Electron in potential well equation" derived?

The "Electron in potential well equation" is derived from the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It involves solving for the wave function of the electron inside the well, which describes the probability of finding the electron at a given position and time.

What are the limitations of the "Electron in potential well equation"?

The "Electron in potential well equation" is a simplified model and does not take into account certain factors such as electron-electron interactions and the effects of temperature. It is also limited to describing the behavior of an electron in one-dimensional potential wells and may not accurately predict the behavior in more complex systems.