[thermo] pressure & steam tables related question

In summary, to boil a pot of water at 110 C with a diameter of 15cm and atmospheric pressure of 101 kPa, you should use a lid weight of approximately 76.14 kg based on the formula: force = mass x 9.81 or force = pressure x area. For a similar situation with a pot diameter of 5mm^2 and atmospheric pressure of 101.3 kPa, and a desired boiling temperature of 120 C, the recommended lid weight would be 0.101kg using absolute pressure or 0.049kg using gauge pressure. The force equilibrium equation is PinA = Wlid + PatmA or (Pin-Patm)A = Wlid.
gematt7
you want to boil a pot of water at 110 C
diameter of pot = 15cm
atmospheric pressure 101 kPa

what weight lid should you use?

i looked up the steam tables and water boils at 110 C at 143.27 kPa

so do i use that pressure or 143.27-101? (gauge pressure)

i used gauge and got something like ~76.14 kg.. which seems ridiculous for a lid weight

formula i used:

force = mass x 9.81
force = pressure * area
mass x 9.81 = pressure * area

i got an answer of 0.101kg using absolute pressure and 0.049kg using gauge pressure

could you verify my answer and tell me which pressure i should be using.. absolute pressure or gauge pressure

Physics news on Phys.org
if you think about it, the force equilibrium is:

PinA = Wlid + PatmA

or

(Pin-Patm)A = Wlid
PgaugeA = Wlid

oh thanks you.. force equlibrium is a better way of looking at it :)

1. What are steam tables?

Steam tables are a set of tables that provide thermodynamic data for water and steam, including properties such as temperature, pressure, enthalpy, and entropy. These tables are used by engineers and scientists to calculate the properties of water and steam for various applications.

2. How are steam tables used?

Steam tables are used to determine the thermodynamic properties of water and steam at different temperatures and pressures. This information is crucial for designing and operating steam-based systems, such as power plants, steam engines, and refrigeration systems.

3. What is the difference between saturated and superheated steam?

Saturated steam is steam that is in equilibrium with liquid water at a given temperature and pressure. Superheated steam is steam that has been heated above its saturation temperature, meaning it has a higher temperature and energy content than saturated steam.

4. How do pressure and temperature affect the properties of steam?

As pressure and temperature increase, the properties of steam, such as enthalpy and entropy, also increase. This is because the energy and mass of the steam increase as pressure and temperature increase. However, the specific volume of steam decreases with increasing pressure and increases with increasing temperature.

5. Can steam tables be used for non-water substances?

Steam tables are specific to water and cannot be used for other substances. This is because the properties of steam are dependent on the particular substance and its phase, so steam tables for one substance cannot be used for another.