Thermo problem for a pressure vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of heating water to a superheated state in a constant volume vessel. The given information includes the volume of the vessel, initial pressure and temperature, and the final temperature to be achieved. The goal is to find the final pressure of the vessel. Various approaches, including the Ideal Gas Law and heat transfer, are considered but the correct method is determined to be using the steam tables to find the pressure based on the specific volume and final temperature. The final pressure is determined to be 1000psia.
rkendrick

Homework Statement

My question has to do with heating water to a superheated state inside a constant volume vessel.

Given: A pressure vessel with a total volume of 36.77ft^3, is filled with 5 gal of water and heated from room temp. to a final temp. of 1100°F. Obvisouly the initial pressure is atmospheric and the initial temp. is room, or let's say 80°F.

Find: Final pressure of vessel.

In the end I will vary the amount of water in the vessel to obtain a curve relating the volume of water to the final pressure but we can assume 5 gal for the beggining. I have worked on this for some time and am sure that it is much simpler than I am making it out to be. I am aware that the Ideal Gas Law may not be applied since the gas will be water vapor at a high pressure. Hopefully one of you can enlighten me.

Thanks

Homework Equations

Steam Tables

The Attempt at a Solution

i've used many approaches such as heat transfer finding the Q, and the ideal gas law.

Physics news on Phys.org
Constant volume: P1/T1=P2/T2

can this combined law be applied to superheated steam? i didn't think it could since i came up with 76 psia which couldn't be correct

You are correct, my mistake. You know the specific Volume (volume/mass) and the final temperature. Look on your superheated Water Vapor charts to find the pressure.

Finding the specific volume, I get that 36.77cu.ft./ (5*8.33lb/gal) = 0.8828 which corresponds to a pressure of 1000psia from the superheated steam tables at 1100°F. It seems to me that the pressure should be more around the 7000-10,000 psia range, is this correct?

I think 1000 psia is correct.

The steam table is the correct route to take. As previously stated, you know the specific volume and you know the temperature. Therefore you can find the pressure from the steam tables as noted above.

sounds good, thanks guys!

1. What is a thermo problem for a pressure vessel?

A thermo problem for a pressure vessel is a situation where the temperature and pressure inside the vessel are not in equilibrium, causing potential safety hazards and structural issues.

2. What are the common causes of thermo problems in pressure vessels?

The most common causes of thermo problems in pressure vessels include uneven heat distribution, excessive pressure fluctuations, and inadequate insulation.

3. How can thermo problems in pressure vessels be prevented?

To prevent thermo problems in pressure vessels, proper design and construction, regular maintenance and inspection, and following safety protocols are essential. Additionally, using appropriate insulation materials and ensuring proper temperature and pressure control can also help prevent thermo problems.

4. How are thermo problems in pressure vessels detected?

Thermo problems in pressure vessels can be detected through various methods such as temperature and pressure monitoring, visual inspection, and non-destructive testing techniques.

5. What are the consequences of not addressing thermo problems in pressure vessels?

If thermo problems in pressure vessels are not addressed, they can lead to catastrophic failures, explosions, or releases of hazardous materials, causing significant damage to the vessel and potentially endangering human lives.