Transfer Function: Determine Vo for Circuit in Fig. 5

• Thread starter Fronzbot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary: C/(1+sRC) = 6sC/(1+sRC)In summary, the transfer function for this circuit, with the output voltage defined as the voltage drop across the 20Ω resistor, is H(s) = 6sC/(1+sRC). This approach is valid and can be used for circuits with multiple sources.I hope this helps clarify your understanding of the transfer function in this circuit. Good luck with your studies!
Fronzbot

Homework Statement

Determine the transfer function for the circuit shown in figure 5 if the output voltage is defined as the voltage drop across the 20[tex]\Omega[/tex] resistor. Note there are two sources in this circuit.

Circuit-1.jpg

Homework Equations

H(s) = [tex]\frac{Vo}{Vi}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

From the previous question (I needed to find the Voltage and Current across the Inductor and the voltage across the Capacitor all in the 'S' domain) I know that, assuming Vbis the node voltage where the cap, inductor and resistor meet, Vb=[tex]\frac{120(5s^2+20s+11)}{s(s^2+5s+6)}[/tex] and, assuming Va is the node voltage at the current source, Va=[tex]\frac{60(11s^2+51s+22)}{s(s^2+5s+6)}[/tex].

Now what I'm having trouble with is determining what I should use for Vi. Every problem in my book or in class has defined an input voltage somewhere and all of them have only ever had one source. My idea is that I could use superposition to find the transfer function so I determine Vo when the current source is opened and Vi=[tex]\frac{60}{s}[/tex]V and then add that to the transfer function when the voltage source is shorted and Vi= Va. Is this a valid approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

Thank you for your forum post. It seems like you are on the right track with using superposition to find the transfer function for this circuit. As you mentioned, there are two sources in this circuit, so it is important to consider each one separately when determining the transfer function.

First, let's define our output voltage as the voltage drop across the 20Ω resistor, which we can call Vout. We can also define our input voltage, Vi, as the voltage at the node where the two sources are connected. Now, using superposition, we can determine the transfer function H(s) as follows:

1. When the current source is opened, the voltage source is still connected, so we can consider the voltage source as our input and use the formula H(s) = Vout/Vi. In this case, Vi will be equal to the voltage at the node where the voltage source is connected, which we can call V1. Using the voltage divider formula, V1 = 120/(1+sRC), where RC is the parallel combination of the 5Ω resistor and the 1/(sC) impedance. Therefore, our transfer function in this case will be:

H1(s) = Vout/V1 = (20Ω)/(5Ω + 1/(sC)) = 4sC/(1+sRC)

2. When the voltage source is shorted, the current source is still connected, so we can consider the current source as our input and use the formula H(s) = Vout/Vi. In this case, Vi will be equal to the voltage at the node where the current source is connected, which we can call V2. Using KCL at this node, we can write the following equation:

(60V - V2)/10Ω + (V2 - Vout)/20Ω = 0

Solving for V2, we get V2 = 3Vout. Therefore, our transfer function in this case will be:

H2(s) = Vout/V2 = (20Ω)/(10Ω + 1/(sC)) = 2sC/(1+sRC)

3. Now, we can add the two transfer functions (H1 and H2) together to get the overall transfer function:

H(s) = H1(s) + H2(s) = 4sC/(1+sRC) +

1. What is a transfer function?

A transfer function is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the input and output of a system. In the context of circuits, the transfer function describes how the input voltage affects the output voltage.

2. How is a transfer function determined for a circuit?

The transfer function for a circuit can be determined by analyzing the circuit using techniques such as Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. This involves simplifying the circuit into a mathematical representation and then solving for the transfer function.

3. What is Vo in the context of a transfer function for a circuit?

Vo, also known as the output voltage, is the voltage that is measured at the output of the circuit. It is the voltage that is affected by the transfer function and is dependent on the input voltage.

4. How is the transfer function graphically represented?

The transfer function is typically graphically represented using a Bode plot, which shows the magnitude and phase of the output voltage as a function of frequency. This allows for a visual understanding of how the circuit responds to different input frequencies.

5. What factors can affect the transfer function of a circuit?

The transfer function of a circuit can be affected by various factors such as the components used in the circuit, the type of input signal, and the frequency of the input signal. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and noise can also impact the transfer function.