Calculating Water Hardness: Ca2+ & Mg2+

In summary, to find the hardness of the given water sample, you first need to convert the concentrations of Ca2+ and Mg2+ from g/m^3 to mg/L. Then, to convert to mg CaCO3/L, you use the molar mass of CaCO3. Finally, you calculate the hardness by adding the concentrations of Ca2+ and Mg2+.
sdoug041

Homework Statement

A sample of water is known to have 190 g/m^3 Ca2+ and 84 g/m^3 Mg2+. What is the hardness of the water in mg CaCO3/L?

Homework Equations

Hardness = (Ca2+) + (Mg2+)

The Attempt at a Solution

I need to convert my units into mg CaCO3/L or Normality before summing up the values. The problem is I do not understand how to convert to either.

If I'm converting to mg CaCO3/L do I need a molar mass? And when do I use it?

As for normality I do not understand what a "weight equivalence" is so I can't convert to that either.

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

To convert from g/m^3 to mg/L, you need to multiply by 1000 because there are 1000 mg in 1 g. So for the Ca2+ concentration, it would be 190 mg/L and for the Mg2+ concentration, it would be 84 mg/L.

To convert from mg/L to mg CaCO3/L, you need to use the molar mass of CaCO3, which is 100.09 g/mol. This means that for every 100.09 g of CaCO3, there is 1 mol. So to convert from mg to mol, you divide by the molar mass (100.09 g/mol). Then, to convert from mol to mg CaCO3, you multiply by the molar mass (100.09 g/mol). So for the Ca2+ concentration, it would be (190 mg/L) x (1 mol/100.09 g) x (100.09 g/mol) = 190 mg CaCO3/L. And for the Mg2+ concentration, it would be (84 mg/L) x (1 mol/100.09 g) x (100.09 g/mol) = 84 mg CaCO3/L.

To calculate the hardness, you simply add the concentrations of Ca2+ and Mg2+. So in this case, the hardness would be 190 mg CaCO3/L + 84 mg CaCO3/L = 274 mg CaCO3/L.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

1. What is water hardness?

Water hardness is a measure of the concentration of minerals, specifically calcium and magnesium ions, in water. It is measured in parts per million (ppm) or grains per gallon (gpg).

2. How is water hardness calculated?

Water hardness is calculated by measuring the concentration of calcium and magnesium ions in water and converting it into ppm or gpg. This can be done through titration methods or by using water hardness test strips.

3. Why is water hardness important to measure?

Water hardness is important to measure because it can affect the taste and appearance of water, as well as the effectiveness of cleaning products. Additionally, high levels of hardness can lead to mineral build-up in pipes and appliances, causing damage and decreased efficiency.

4. What is the difference between temporary and permanent water hardness?

Temporary water hardness is caused by the presence of calcium bicarbonate in water, which can be removed through boiling. Permanent water hardness is caused by the presence of calcium sulfate and magnesium sulfate, which cannot be removed through boiling.

5. How can water hardness be reduced?

Water hardness can be reduced through the process of ion exchange, which involves replacing the calcium and magnesium ions with sodium ions. This can be done through a water softener system. Another method is to add a water softening agent, such as sodium carbonate or sodium phosphate, to the water.