Forgotten Units: kg, m/s^2, cm^3, mL Explained

• Thread starter nemzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, the conversation discusses questions and confusion regarding units in various equations. The conversation includes discussions on units such as (kg)(m/s^2), cm^3, mL, atm, and Newton, as well as conversions between different units. The main focus is on solving a specific problem and finding the correct units for the answer. The conversation also mentions the gas constant and finding information on units online.
nemzy
What does (kg)(m/s^2) = what unit?

also does 1 cm^3= 1 mL?

i forgot all these units stuff its really bugging up my mind

Physics news on Phys.org
(kg)(m/s^2) = Newton

1 cm^3= 1 mL Yes

ok, I am confused, I've been stuck on this problem for about an hour

So far i got this in my calculations:

(5.316 L*atm) / ( (211.68 kg*m/s^2)+(.0073m^2*atm))

the answer is suppose to be in meters, and from these units i have no idea how it is possible..anyone have any ideas?

Show your work, by the way, L is liters right?

oh yeah and 1 more question, if u add units, then what happens?

like for example, if u have 8 atm + 3 liters, will it become 11 (atm+liters)?

k here is my work:

the equation is this:

h=n*R*T/(m*g+Po*A)

n= 1.85 moles
R=gas constant
T= 350 K
A= .00730 m^2
m= 21.6 kg

and Po is atmospheric pressure (1 atm or 1.0135e5 kPa)

Absolutely Not!

I don't believe you can do that, look up atm basic units, i mean Newton is kg*m/s^2, what is atm equal to? and use the relation above cm^3 = mL, and see if you can follow from that. This problems can be solved by converting to the same types of units, and simple elimination of analogous units.

that last post was directed at the previous post...about adding units

a Pascal is N/m^2, use that. Also 1 atm = 101325 pascal.

ok, so i ended up with this:

5.315975 L*atm / (211.68 N +739.6725 m^2*Pa)

but i am stuck here, how can i cancel out further units? since the bottom is addition, i have no idea what to do from here...am i still allowed to convert the m^2 to liters and cance it out with the top, as well as the Pa with the atm on top?

well, a pascal times m^2 is just Newtons!

so you have all Newtons on the bottom...then instead of using that gas constant...use the one that is J * mol^-1 * K^-1

then you have J / N...which is meters (change them to their base forms if you want to double check it :) )

nicely done :smile:

gas constant:

8.314 J * mol^-1 * K^-1

instead of

8.2057 L * atm * mol^-1 * K^-1

there are a few other forms of the gas constant too, but these are the most commonly used ones.

thx! i finally got the right answer..this units are really bugging

does anyone know a website that has all these info?

It should be on your textbook, if not try google.

1. What are forgotten units?

Forgotten units are units of measurement that are commonly used in science and mathematics, but are often forgotten or confused with other units. They include kilograms (kg), meters per second squared (m/s^2), cubic centimeters (cm^3), and milliliters (mL).

2. Why are these units important?

These units are important because they are commonly used in scientific calculations and measurements. They also have specific definitions and conversions that are necessary for accurate and precise results.

3. What is the difference between kg and mL?

Kilograms (kg) are units of mass, while milliliters (mL) are units of volume. They cannot be directly converted to each other, as mass and volume are two different measurements. However, they can be indirectly related through density, which is the mass of a substance per unit volume.

4. How do I convert between m/s^2 and cm^3?

Meters per second squared (m/s^2) is a unit of acceleration, while cubic centimeters (cm^3) is a unit of volume. These units cannot be directly converted to each other. However, if the acceleration is due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 m/s^2, then the conversion can be made by using the formula: 1 m/s^2 = 100 cm/s^2.

5. Why are these units often forgotten or confused?

These units may be forgotten or confused because they are not part of the International System of Units (SI), which is the modern metric system used in most countries. They are also not commonly used in everyday life, so they may not be as familiar to people as other units of measurement.