How Is Average EMF Calculated in a Rotating Coil?

So the limits of integration are from -53 degrees to 0 degrees, or -\frac{53*\pi}{180*w} to 0.Once you integrate and divide by the range of angles, you should get an average value of -2/\pi. Plugging this into the original equation, you get an average emf of 58.4 Volts, which matches the given answer.
Romperstomper
A closely wound, retangular coil of 80 turns has dimensions of .25m x .4 m. The plane of the coil is rotated, in .06 sec from a position where it makes an angle of 37 degrees with a magnetic field of 1.1T to a position perpendicular to the field. What is the average emf induced in the coil?

Here's what I came up with:

In .06 sec, the coil moves 53 degrees(90 - 37). So, I converted this to raidians, which is .925025 rad. It moves this far in .06 sec, so it's rotational speed is 15.42 rad/sec.

[tex] |E| = NwBA|Sin Wt|[/tex]

My book states that to find the average emf, replace Sin(wt) with the average value. They did this and came up with [tex]2/\pi[/tex]

So, the average value of [tex] E = 2NwBA/\pi[/tex]

Plugging into the equation, I get 86.39Volts, far from the 58.4 Volts answer. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Romperstomper said:
A closely wound, retangular coil of 80 turns has dimensions of .25m x .4 m. The plane of the coil is rotated, in .06 sec from a position where it makes an angle of 37 degrees with a magnetic field of 1.1T to a position perpendicular to the field. What is the average emf induced in the coil?
How are they defining the angle of the coil with respect to the field? By the normal to the plane or by the "plane of the coil"? I suspect that when they say the "plane of the coil" makes an angle of 37 degrees to the field, then the normal makes an angle of -53 degrees. And it's the angle the normal makes that you need to use in applying Faraday's law. (Otherwise you'll mix up sines and cosines.)
Here's what I came up with:

In .06 sec, the coil moves 53 degrees(90 - 37). So, I converted this to raidians, which is .925025 rad. It moves this far in .06 sec, so it's rotational speed is 15.42 rad/sec.
No problem.

[tex] |E| = NwBA|Sin Wt|[/tex]

My book states that to find the average emf, replace Sin(wt) with the average value. They did this and came up with [tex]2/\pi[/tex]

So, the average value of [tex] E = 2NwBA/\pi[/tex]
The book is giving the average value from 0 to pi radians; but your problem is over a different range of angles, so the average is different.

Plugging into the equation, I get 86.39Volts, far from the 58.4 Volts answer. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
You need to find the average value of [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] over the range of angles given in this problem. (Hint: integrate.)

I had a feeling that I had to integrate, but for some reason I just blew it off.

Ok, So, I need to integrate over the range of angles, which is 37 to 90, or [tex]\frac{37*\pi}{180*w}[/tex] to [tex]\frac{\pi}{2*w}[/tex]. I divided them by 'w' to get the proper period for each. Is this right? I saw what the book did and I'm just thinking that's how they got [tex]\frac{\pi}{w}[/tex] for their ending range.

So, I integrated that and then divided it by the time interval, [tex]\frac{\pi}{2*w}[/tex] to get the average. Finally, I plugged it back into the original equation and got 68.99 Volts. It's closer, but not it. The only thing I can think of is if I did the limits of integration wrong, but I don't see what I'm doing wrong.

To find the average value of [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex], you need to integrate [itex]sin(\omega t)[/itex] over the proper range of angles ([itex]\omega t[/itex] varies from -53 degrees to 0) and then divide by the range of angles (53 degrees measured in radians).

1. What is Faraday's Law and how does it relate to coil EMF?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electromotive force (EMF) in a conductor. This EMF can be measured as a voltage across the conductor, such as in a coil. The stronger the magnetic field and the faster it changes, the greater the induced EMF will be.

2. How is coil EMF calculated?

The EMF induced in a coil can be calculated using the formula: EMF = -N(dΦ/dt), where N is the number of turns in the coil and (dΦ/dt) is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. This means that the more turns in the coil and the faster the magnetic field changes, the higher the induced EMF will be.

3. What factors can affect the strength of coil EMF?

The strength of coil EMF can be affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the speed at which the magnetic field changes. Additionally, the material and size of the coil can also impact the induced EMF.

4. How is Faraday's Law used in practical applications?

Faraday's Law is used in many practical applications, such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the basis for many technologies, including electromagnetic induction cooktops and wireless charging.

5. Can Faraday's Law be applied to non-coil conductors?

Yes, Faraday's Law can be applied to any conductor, not just coils. As long as there is a changing magnetic field passing through a conductor, an EMF will be induced. This can be seen in devices like induction cooktops, which use a flat, non-coil conductor to heat up pots and pans using the principle of electromagnetic induction.