1 kg of melting ice and 1 kg of boiling water are mixed

In summary, the temperature of the mixture will be determined by the amount of energy required to melt the ice and heat the water, assuming atmospheric pressure and initial temperatures of 0°C for the ice and 100°C for the boiling water. More information, such as the latent heat of fusion of ice, would be needed for an accurate answer.
luigihs
1. 1 kg of melting ice and 1 kg of boiling water are mixed: Which temperature will have the mixture when all ice is liquefied ?

I don't know if there is formula

The attempt solution: I don't know this question is really hard there are not enough information

Physics news on Phys.org

I would start by assuming atmospheric pressure, also assuming the ice is at 0°C and boiling water is at 100°C.

TaxOnFear said:
I would start by assuming atmospheric pressure, also assuming the ice is at 0°C and boiling water is at 100°C.

mmm 50C ? i don't know :(

From my perspective, I would think that you need more information to accurately answer this question. Such as the latent heat of fusion of ice for one.

I agree with Taxonfear... solid ice at 0 centigrade has to change into water at 0 centigrade
Then water at 0 centigrade has to be heated to the final temp. All of the energy to do this comes from water at 100 centigrade

1. What will be the temperature of the resulting mixture?

The temperature of the resulting mixture will be somewhere in between the melting point of ice (0°C) and the boiling point of water (100°C), depending on the exact proportions of ice and water.

2. Will there be any change in the total mass of the mixture?

No, the total mass of the mixture will remain constant at 2 kg. This is because the ice and water are both in their liquid state and have the same density, so they will occupy the same volume and therefore have the same mass.

3. Which substance will undergo a phase change?

The ice will undergo a phase change from solid to liquid, as it melts due to the heat from the boiling water.

4. What will happen to the energy of the system?

The energy in the system will increase due to the heat transfer from the boiling water to the melting ice. This will result in a decrease in the temperature of the boiling water and an increase in the temperature of the melting ice, until they reach a thermal equilibrium.

5. Can this mixture be used as a coolant?

No, this mixture cannot be used as a coolant as the resulting temperature will be above the freezing point of water, and therefore it will not be able to absorb heat from a system to cool it down.