Help understand spec sheet for EEPROM IC

• Thread starter andrew.grimm3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ic
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential replacement of a Dallas Memory Module in a CPU circuit with a parallel EEPROM 28C16 IC. The data retention of the 28C16 is mentioned to be 10 years, meaning that the data stored in the chip may be lost after this time. The conversation also mentions alternative vendors that claim their devices can store data for longer periods of time, and the reason for replacing the module is due to the internal battery eventually discharging. The person looking for help is a ham radio operator and wants to keep their radios functioning for longer periods of time. The conversation also discusses the possibility of refreshing the data in the EEPROM in the event of data loss. Ultimately, the decision is made to use a
andrew.grimm3
I'm looking to replace a Dallas Memory Module in a CPU circuit with a parallel EEPROM 28C16 IC. I pulled up several spec sheets for a 28C16 and it says that its data retention is 10 years. What exactly does this mean? Does this mean that the data will only be stored for 10 years? The Dallas Memory Module relies on a internal battery that eventually will discharge and my reasoning for replacing with a parallel EEPROM was because of this but if the EEPROM will only last 10 years, it might not be worth the change. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

- Andrew

Engineering news on Phys.org
It means that after 10 years, the data is subject to go 'Poof!'.
I would check different vendors concerning the 28C16. Thomson SGS claims their device can store data for a minimum of 40 years.
Really, why do you want to keep a grizzled old CPU going more than 10 years? Nostalgia?

It's actually for a two way radio. I'm a ham, and I have several radio's that were manufactured in the 1980's. There programmable by computer to input the frequency information into the radio. The data is held by a Dallas Memory module and I read a write up online that states that they last about 20 years and then the radio is no longer good. Since it was built in the 1980's I thought I better be getting a EEPROM replacement IC if I want to use my radio's a while longer.

If the (lithium) internal battery expires then the supported CMOS memory will forget. It is usually possible to buy a fresh replacement module and reprogram it. Some modules have a connection for an external battery that carries the backup load and so extends the life of the internal battery.

An EEPROM stores data as charge in an insulated gate. If too much charge leaks away, the chip forgets. The charge leakage is increased by heat or ionising radiation. With historical equipment I keep a copy of the original EEPROM data as a rolling archive on my computer system. If and when the old equipment gives a checksum error I can refresh all the charges in the EEPROM by rewriting the archived data to the chip.

Thanks for the replies. Mouser has a EEPROM that has around 100 year data store. I'm going to use those for replacements for the Dallas Memory Module's.

1. What is an EEPROM IC?

An EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory) IC is a type of non-volatile memory chip that can store and retrieve data even when the power is turned off. It is used in many electronic devices, such as computers, smartphones, and digital cameras.

2. What information is typically found on a spec sheet for an EEPROM IC?

A spec sheet for an EEPROM IC usually includes information about the chip's memory capacity, operating voltage, access time, programming cycle endurance, and package type. It may also contain details about the chip's features and functionality, as well as its temperature range and data retention period.

3. How do I interpret the data in a spec sheet for an EEPROM IC?

Interpreting a spec sheet for an EEPROM IC can be daunting for those who are not familiar with electronic components. However, the key is to understand the technical terms and specifications listed on the sheet. You may refer to the manufacturer's datasheet or consult with an expert for assistance in interpreting the data.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing an EEPROM IC?

When selecting an EEPROM IC, it is important to consider the specific needs and requirements of your project. Some factors to consider include the memory capacity, operating voltage, access time, temperature range, and programming cycle endurance. You should also ensure that the chip is compatible with your device and has the necessary features for your application.

5. Can I replace an old EEPROM IC with a new one?

In most cases, it is possible to replace an old EEPROM IC with a new one as long as they have the same specifications and are compatible with your device. However, it is always recommended to consult with the manufacturer or an expert before making any changes to ensure proper functionality and avoid any potential damage to your device.