Maximum Drive Voltage for Quartz Crystals: How Much Is Too Much?

In summary, the piezoelectric effect refers to the generation of electrical potential in certain crystals when they are stressed or deformed. When a potential is applied, the crystal will change its shape. However, the change in length is a nonlinear function of voltage and high frequency pulses may create fractures. Manufacturers list maximum drive voltage in their specifications and watch crystals, designed to work with low power levels, are particularly sensitive.
Idea04
When it comes to the piezoelectric effect you can have a small quartz crystal and apply a force to it and get thousands of volts as a result. But if you took a quartz crystal and applied a thousand volts to it, would it just crack? For a quartz crystal to take a couple thousand volts charge (no current applied to the quartz just voltage) would it have to have a larger size to take the extra voltage. I'm thinking the higher the voltage applied to the crystal the more the molecules move.

Engineering news on Phys.org
When you apply stress or deform certain crystals they produce an electrical potential across the crystals lattice. When you apply a potential across a crystals lattice, you get the reverse. The crystal will change it's shape.

Yes but can a quartz crystal withstand a large voltage in the couple thandsands of volts range. From what I was researching the crystal only moves around a nanometer when a voltage is applied. but does that movement increase to a larger amount when the voltage is increased? With a high enough voltage will the crystal break?

I'm no expert on piezoelectric crystals but I believe the change in length is a nonlinear funciton of voltage. I would also think high frequency pulses might create fractures.

"I would also think high frequency pulses might create fractures."

I wonder if you could cause the crystal to crack (perhaps on an extremely small scale) through resonance in this manner.

I suspect that if you applied kV to a quartz crystal it would fracture.

The manufacturers list maximum drive voltage in their specifications.

Watch crystals are particularly sensitive, being designed to work with very low power levels.

1. What is the role of quartz crystals in electronic devices?

Quartz crystals are used as timing devices in electronic circuits. They provide a stable and precise oscillation frequency, which is essential for the proper functioning of electronic devices.

2. How do quartz crystals produce voltages?

Quartz crystals produce voltages through the piezoelectric effect, which is the ability of certain materials (like quartz) to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress.

3. What is the relationship between quartz crystal size and voltage output?

The size of a quartz crystal does not directly affect its voltage output. The voltage output is primarily determined by the frequency of the crystal's oscillations, which is determined by its shape and cut.

4. Can the voltage output of a quartz crystal be controlled or adjusted?

Yes, the voltage output of a quartz crystal can be controlled by changing the frequency of its oscillations. This can be achieved by changing the physical dimensions of the crystal or by adding external components like capacitors.

5. What are the applications of quartz crystals and voltages in scientific research?

Quartz crystals and voltages have a wide range of applications in scientific research, such as in precision timing devices, frequency standards, and electronic filters. They are also used in sensors and transducers for measuring physical quantities like pressure, temperature, and acceleration.