Thermal conductivity through a concrete wall

In summary, if you install insulation in a plane wall made of concrete, the thickness of the insulation needs to be 10.9cm to reduce the heat transfer by a factor of 2.
Xyius
Hey everyone!
Got an interesting problem here, I am thinking I did it correctly but I wanted to see your opinions. Here is the problem..

A 0.2-m-thick plane wall is constructed of concrete. At steady state, the energy transfer by conduction through the wall is 0.15 kW/m2. The inside temperature of the wall is 24oC.
a. If the temperature distribution through the wall is linear, what is the temperature on the outside surface of the wall?
b. A layer of insulation is added to the inside of the wall. Assuming the same temperatures at the surfaces, determine the thickness of the insulation that will reduce the energy transfer through the composite wall by a factor of 2.

The insulation has a thermal conductivity of 0.08 W/m.K. For concrete , k = 1.4 W/m.K.

My Solution
Since it is stated that we can assume a linear relationship, the heat transfer through the wall will be proportional to the temperature differential between the inside and outside of the wall and the thickness of the wall. (Which will be denoted L) Therefore..

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = kL(T_{outside}-T_{inside})[/tex]

Plugging in the values we obtain..(Using Kelvin for temperature)

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = kL(T_{outside}-T_{inside}) \rightarrow 0.15 = (1.4)(0.2)(T_{outside}-299.15) \rightarrow T_{outside} = 299.7K[/tex]

For the second part, if we look at the wall on a cross section (Going to do my best to make a wall out of text here...)

---L-2x
| |---| |
| |---| |
| |---| |
| |---| |
x ----- x

Therefore the above equation for heat transfer turns into..

[tex]\frac{dQ}{dt} = 2k_{concrete}L(T_{outside}-T_{inside})+k_{insulation}(L-2x)(T_{outside}-T_{inside})[/tex]

Plugging in all the values I get an x value of 4.6cm which means the thickness of the insulation is L-2x or 10.9cm.

This seems reasonable to me, do you guys think my logic is correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I actually believe this is wrong looking at it for a second time, ill post my second attemp in a bit

EDIT:

I am trying it again with..

dq/dt=k(To-Ti)/L Since it matches the units for the heat transfer, but it still isn't working out for me..

Last edited:
Okay I seriously need help with this. None of the numbers I am getting make sense. After talking to my professor, I have gathered these facts.

The heat conductivity by conduction though a medium is..

[tex]Q=\frac{kA \Delta T}{\Delta x}[/tex]

And the conductivity by convection is.. (don't know if I need this)

[tex]Q=hA(T_{surroundings}-T_{surface})[/tex]

The heat transfer rate I was given is in W/m^2 so it looks like "A" is divided out in the above expressions.

According to my professor, heat transfer analysis can be related to electical voltage analysis. So the equation...
[tex]I = \frac{\Delta V}{R}[/tex]
is analogous to...
[tex]Q = \frac{\Delta T}{R_{t}}[/tex]

Where,

[tex]R_{t} = \frac{\Delta x}{k}[/tex] (Just the formula for heat transfer though conduction above.)

The next part of the problem is asking what would the thickness of an insulation with a thermal conductivity of k=0.08 to make the heat transfer through the composite wall reduced by a factor of 2.

I seriously need help on this one, I haven't been this stuck on a problem in a long time. :(

You're pretty close to solving it. The electrical circuit analogy is a good one.

First revisit part (a). You don't need to convert temperatures to absolute here, since you're really dealing with temperature differences. Suppose I is the "heat current" per square meter of wall, I = 0.15kW/m2. You've already determined that the equivalent heat resistance of the concrete wall is given by Rc = ∆x/kc. So the "potential difference" (temperature difference) across the wall is

[tex] \Delta T = I R_c [/tex]

Now, the problem statement didn't specify the direction that the heat was passing through the wall. So assume that its moving inward and that the outside temperature is higher than inside (you can go the other way by a change of sign of the current, if you wish). What's the outside temperature?

I am getting 45.4 degrees C. I got this before but I didn't think it was right. That is pretty hot. I am stuck on the second part.

It is saying that a layer of insulation is being installed inside the wall and is asking how thick the insulation has to be to decrease the heat flow by a factor of 2 through the WHOLE wall.

My guess if I have to somehow include not only the insulation but the thickness of the concrete slabs on either side of the insulation. But nothing I do is working out. :\

Xyius said:
I am getting 45.4 degrees C. I got this before but I didn't think it was right. That is pretty hot. I am stuck on the second part.

If you assume that the heat is flowing outward, then the temp outside would be 21.4 degrees colder than inside. Maybe that's what was intended, maybe it wasn't. They should have specified. Anyways, it won't affect the results.

It is saying that a layer of insulation is being installed inside the wall and is asking how thick the insulation has to be to decrease the heat flow by a factor of 2 through the WHOLE wall.

My guess if I have to somehow include not only the insulation but the thickness of the concrete slabs on either side of the insulation. But nothing I do is working out. :\

Just assume that a layer of insulation is being applied to one side of the wall. You've got the thermal resistance for the wall, now what should the thermal resistance be for the insulation in order to achieve the goal?

1. What is thermal conductivity through a concrete wall?

Thermal conductivity through a concrete wall refers to the rate at which heat energy can pass through a wall made of concrete material. It is a measure of how well the wall can conduct heat and is influenced by factors such as the type of concrete, its thickness, and the temperature difference between the two sides of the wall.

2. How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is typically measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK). This unit represents the amount of heat energy (in watts) that can pass through one meter of a material with a temperature difference of one degree Kelvin (equivalent to one degree Celsius). The higher the thermal conductivity, the more heat can pass through the material.

3. Why is thermal conductivity important for concrete walls?

Thermal conductivity is an important factor to consider when building or insulating concrete walls because it directly affects the energy efficiency of a building. A wall with low thermal conductivity will provide better insulation and help reduce energy costs for heating and cooling. On the other hand, a wall with high thermal conductivity will allow more heat to escape, making the building less energy-efficient.

4. What factors affect thermal conductivity through a concrete wall?

The thermal conductivity of a concrete wall is influenced by several factors, including the type of concrete used, its density, moisture content, and the presence of any insulating materials. The thickness of the wall also plays a role, as thicker walls tend to have lower thermal conductivity. Additionally, the temperature difference between the two sides of the wall can impact thermal conductivity.

5. Can thermal conductivity through a concrete wall be improved?

Yes, thermal conductivity through a concrete wall can be improved by using insulating materials, such as foam or fiberglass, in the construction of the wall. These materials have lower thermal conductivity than concrete and can help reduce heat transfer. Additionally, proper wall construction techniques, such as sealing air leaks and using double-glazed windows, can also improve the energy efficiency of a concrete wall.