Register to reply

Finding the Early voltage from the 2N5551 datasheet

by gnurf
Tags: datasheet, early, voltage
Share this thread:
gnurf
Feb5-12, 10:28 AM
P: 330
Is it possible to find the Early voltage (VA) of the 2N5551 based on the information in the datasheet? As it happens, I see that the SPICE model in the datasheet lists this parameter at 100V, but that bypasses the purpose of the question. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers find security flaws in backscatter X-ray scanners
Virtual reality guides those whose memory is failing
Intelligent navigation system to personalise shopping trips
Jony130
Feb5-12, 10:56 AM
P: 409
You need to find the datasheet that show hoe.
Knowing hoe we can without difficulty determine Early voltage.
See this datasheet as a example
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...cs/mXyzzyw.pdf

Va = (Ic/hoe) - Vce = (1mA/5uS) - 10V = 200V - 10V = 190V

But as you can see we have a large manufacture spread. So in practice, if we don't know the exact value we assume a type value Va = 100V
gnurf
Feb5-12, 11:16 AM
Yes, but unfortunately I can't find this hoe in the datasheet.

Jony130
Feb5-12, 11:28 AM
Finding the Early voltage from the 2N5551 datasheet

Quote Quote by gnurf View Post
Yes, but unfortunately I can't find this hoe in the datasheet.
This is normal.
Why do you need to know Va voltage?
fbs7
Feb5-12, 11:35 AM
P: 127
Hmm... in the graphic of forward gain x collector current... the increase in forward gain in small signals is due to Early effect... should be able to get it from there, shouldn't it?

hf = hfo ( 1 + Vce/Va)

if one matches hf vs Ic, and Ic vs Vce... that should give Va...?
gnurf
Feb5-12, 12:51 PM
Quote Quote by Jony130 View Post
Why do you need to know Va voltage?
In my book, the Early effect is modelled as a resistor, ro, between the collector and emitter:

ro = (VA +VCE)/IC

I'm trying to find this value for a simple CE stage based on the 2N5551.
yungman
Feb5-12, 12:54 PM
P: 3,898
Not with this data sheet. Look for another brand that has the Ic vs Vce curve. If you cut the graph and stick on a piece of paper with a lot of room on the left side, then extend the straight portion towards the left, they all should meet at Ic=0 at one point and that's the early voltage Va.

If it is a common transistor, there should be plenty of manufacturers. I notice different manufacturer give different information.

And other way if you have good meter, measure it yourself. Set up a bias condition with grounded emitter, then vary the collector voltage and read the current. This is hard as the change are very small. But it's doable.
Jony130
Feb5-12, 01:03 PM
But do you know that
hoe = 1/ro
Also when load resistance (Rc||RL) of a CE stage is not such a larger we can ignore ro effect on the voltage gain.
yungman
Feb10-12, 02:43 AM
P: 3,898
Problem is data sheet of normal small signal BJT don't give you the h parameters, only β. Only the RF transistors that give you s-parameters, then you can do transformation.

Also the output impedance of a transistor is not ro alone as hoe is measure with ib=0. The collector curves are drawn with ib not equal to zero. It depend on the collector current.

Register to reply