How Do You Calculate the Time Interval Between Bounces of a Ball?

In summary, the question is asking about the time interval between bounces of a ball bouncing elastically on a steel plate. Using the laws of kinematics, the time interval can be calculated by finding the time it takes for the ball to reach its maximum height, which is equal to the time it takes for the ball to return to the plate. This can be calculated by dividing the difference in velocity (v) and initial velocity (v0) by the acceleration (a) and then doubling that value. In this case, the time interval between bounces is 2 seconds.
taveuni
Hi:

I am working through this problem regarding a bouncing ball. I have gotten most of the way through, but can't figure out the time interval between bounces. Can someone give me some guidance? What am I not seeing?

A 32 g steel ball bounces elastically on a steel plate, always returning to the same maximum height h = 20.2 m.
a) With what speed does the ball leave the plate?
vup = 19.9m/s
b) What is the magnitude of the total change in momentum of the ball with each bounce?
|Dpball| = 1.27
c) What is the magnitude of the total momentum the ball transfers to the plate at each bounce?
|Dpplate| = 1.27
d) What is the time interval between bounces?
Dt = ?

I tried to simply t=d/v=20.2/19.9 and multiplying that by 2-- wrong. I can't think of any other way to solve this. And the next question builds off of it:

e) Averaged over a long time interval, what is the magnitude of the rate at which momentum is transferred to the plate?
|Dp/Dt| =
f) What is the magnitude of the average force exerted by the ball on the plate?
Favg =

Thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
Time interval between bounces...

knowing the laws of kinematics, can you calculate how long it takes for an object to move a set distance, given the acceleration?

I know
dx=vo*t+(a*t^2)/2
But that doesn't give me the right answer
I got 0.84s ---
??

Is there something I am completely missing here?
dx=vo*t+(a*t^2)/2
20.2 = 19.9t + 9.81/2*t^2
solving for t = 0.84 or -4.9
2*t = 1.68s. Wrong.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thank you so much.

20.2=9.81/2*t^2,=>t=2.03
or 20.2 = 19.90792t - 9.81/2*t^2

[tex]v = v_0 + at[/tex]

[tex]v - v_0 = at[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{v - v_0}{a}[/tex]

v - velocity of the ball when reaches the maximum height
v0 = vup = 19.9m/s
a = g = - 9.80 m/s2
t - That's the time the ball will take to reach the maximum height.

But the time interval between two bounces let's call tb is equal to 2t.
Then:

[tex]t_b = 2(\frac{v - v_0}{a})[/tex]

1. How does the mass of a bouncing ball affect its momentum?

The mass of a bouncing ball affects its momentum by directly impacting how much force it can exert when bouncing. A heavier ball will have a greater momentum and therefore will bounce higher and with more force compared to a lighter ball.

2. What happens to the momentum of a bouncing ball when it hits the ground?

When a bouncing ball hits the ground, its momentum decreases as some of its energy is transferred to the ground. This is known as an elastic collision, where the total momentum remains constant but is transferred between the ball and the ground.

3. How does the height of a bounce affect the momentum of a bouncing ball?

The height of a bounce does not directly affect the momentum of a bouncing ball. However, the height of the bounce is a result of the ball's momentum and the force of gravity. A greater momentum will result in a higher bounce, while a lower momentum will result in a lower bounce.

4. What role does friction play in the momentum of a bouncing ball?

Friction plays a crucial role in the momentum of a bouncing ball. When a ball bounces on a surface, some of its energy is lost due to friction with the surface. This means that with each bounce, the ball's momentum will decrease slightly.

5. Can the momentum of a bouncing ball ever be negative?

No, the momentum of a bouncing ball cannot be negative. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. Since a bouncing ball always has a positive velocity (bouncing upwards or downwards), its momentum will always be positive. A negative momentum would require the ball to have a negative velocity, which is not possible in this scenario.