Ted Kennedy removed on stretcher

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
In summary, MSNBC reported that Senator Ted Kennedy, who was battling a brain tumor, suffered convulsions and had to be removed from the Senate Luncheon with President Obama on a stretcher. Senator Robert Byrd, who is the oldest member of the Senate, also needed medical assistance after witnessing Kennedy's condition. President Obama expressed concern for Kennedy and his family, while an ambulance was seen leaving the U.S. Capitol. However, there was initial confusion about Byrd's condition, and it was later reported that he was not suffering from a medical condition.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
MSNBC is reporting Ted Kennedy has been removed from the Senate Luncheon with Obama on a stretcher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now it is reported that Sen Robert Byrd needed medical assistance. After medics entered the room for Byrd, Kennedy went into severe convulsions.

Kennedy Collapsed

January 20, 2009 2:46 PM

Sen. Ted Kennedy, D-Mass., who is battling a brain tumor, was taken away from the congressional luncheon in convulsions.

Kennedy was at a table with Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., Vice President Mondale and Mrs. Mondale, and others. While at the table, Kennedy began having seizures that lasted for several minutes. As they were carrying Kennedy out of the room, he was still seizing. President Barack Obama went out of the room with him, but he is back in the luncheon room now.

We are also told that Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W.Va., the oldest member of the Senate, was so upset and distraught from what he had witnessed, that he needed to be taken out. Byrd was conscious when he was taken from the room. The two have been friends for a very, very long time.

Obama just spoke to the luncheon about Kennedy, appearing extremely sober:

"First of all, I know that while I was out of the room, concern was expressed about Teddy," Obama said. "He was there when the Voting Rights Act passed. And, along with John Lewis, was a warrior for justice. And so I would be lying to you if I did not say that right now a part of me is with him. And I think that is true for all of us. This is a joyous time, but it's also a sobering time. And my prayers are with him and his family and Vicki."

An ambulance could be seen driving from the U.S. Capitol.

--George Stephanopoulos
http://blogs.abcnews.com/george/2009/01/kennedy-collaps.html

Ivan Seeking said:
Now it is reported that Sen Robert Byrd needed medical assistance. After medics entered the room for Byrd, Kennedy went into severe convulsions.

I think Stephanopoulis got the sequence wrong.

I see the news footage and Kennedy appears conscious as he was loaded in the ambulance to a hospital.

CNN is retracting the report about Byrd. There may have been some initial confusion about who was down.

Ivan Seeking said:
CNN is retracting the report about Byrd. There may have been some initial confusion about who was down.

It seems now that Stephanopoulis was correct. That Byrd left after seeing Kennedy stricken. Byrd is apparently not suffering from a medical condition.

1. What happened to Ted Kennedy?

Ted Kennedy was removed from a congressional luncheon on a stretcher after experiencing a seizure during the event.

2. Was Ted Kennedy seriously hurt?

There is no information indicating that Ted Kennedy was seriously injured after being removed on a stretcher. However, he did require medical attention and was taken to a nearby hospital for further evaluation.

3. What caused Ted Kennedy's seizure?

The specific cause of Ted Kennedy's seizure is unknown. Seizures can be caused by a variety of factors, such as underlying health conditions, medication side effects, or brain injuries.

4. Has Ted Kennedy had seizures before?

Yes, Ted Kennedy had a seizure in 2008 and was diagnosed with a brain tumor. It is not uncommon for individuals who have had seizures before to experience them again in the future.

5. What is the current status of Ted Kennedy?

Ted Kennedy passed away on August 25, 2009, at the age of 77, due to complications from his brain tumor. The seizure he experienced at the congressional luncheon was one of the many health issues he faced during his long career in politics.