Why are there saw-teeth on my Matlab eps prints?

In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with generating MATLAB figures in .eps format. The problem appears as tiny saw-teeth along vertical lines in the figures. The issue is present in both older versions of MATLAB on Windows and newer versions on Linux. A solution is suggested to try converting the figures on a different platform. Instructions are also provided for attaching files in a reply.
Angelos K
Dear all,

I generate some MATLAB figures that I want to print as eps. The figures look fine in the .fig format. When I open the eps, there is a problem. Wherever there is a vertical line (or part of function) the line shows tiny saw-teeth. I would like to attach I file but it seems one can't attach .eps here. Any idea?

The problem doesn't care whether I use
print -depsc './test.eps';
or the figure menu.

Cheers,
Angelos

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi

I remember that I had a similar problem. I am not sure but I thought that this problem only appears with an older Matlab in Windows. If you have the possibility to access Matlab in Linux try this. On the other hand I have the new Matlab 2012a under Windows. If you send me the .fig I can check what will happen when converting to eps

Thank you, unstable. I am using Linux. Release 2010b. How can I send you the .fig file?

Greetings,
Angelos

Actually, after clicking on "new reply" (left somewhere) not "quick reply" you should be able to upload / attach files.

1. How do I print a Matlab figure as Eps?

To print a Matlab figure as Eps, first make sure the figure is in the active window. Then, go to File > Print and select the printer named "EPS". Click "Print" and the figure will be saved as an Eps file.

2. Can I customize the settings when printing a Matlab figure as Eps?

Yes, when you go to File > Print, you can click on "Printer Properties" to customize the settings for the Eps file. This allows you to adjust the resolution, color mode, and other settings.

3. How do I save a Matlab figure as Eps without printing it?

To save a Matlab figure as Eps without printing it, go to File > Save As and select "Eps" as the file format. You can then choose the desired location and file name to save the figure as an Eps file.

4. How can I convert a Matlab figure to Eps if I don't have a printer?

If you don't have a printer, you can still convert a Matlab figure to Eps by going to File > Save As and selecting "Eps" as the file format. You can then choose to save the file to your computer or a removable storage device.

5. Is it possible to edit the Eps file after printing a Matlab figure?

Yes, you can edit the Eps file after printing a Matlab figure by opening it in a vector graphics editor, such as Adobe Illustrator. This allows you to make any necessary changes or add additional elements to the figure.