Trying to fabricate a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor

In summary, the conversation discussed the fabrication of a superconductor, specifically a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor. Some issues were mentioned, such as the powder not being mixed well enough and difficulties in achieving superconductivity. The conversation also touched on the importance of crystal lattice structure in superconductivity and the need for proper cooling. Equipment and methods used in the experiment were also mentioned, including the use of LN2 and potential methods for measuring the success of the experiment.
-Christastic-
Hey everybody, just wanted to know if anyone had any experience with superconductor fabrication? I know the whole crystal lattice structure thing is more chemistry than physics but I figured I could post in both places.

Anyways, I am currenty trying to fabricate a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor. Some of my samples have come out of the oven green which is due to the powder not being mixed well enough, but even when there is hardly any green I am having problems getting my superconductors to show any signs of superconductivity.

I was just wondering if anyone else here has attempted this and run into the same problems. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
-Christastic- said:
I know the whole crystal lattice structure thing is more chemistry than physics

It is? The folks working in the largest field in physics might disagree. Crystal growth maybe but lattice structure definately is not!

Assuming that you've managed to create proper YBCO do you even have a way to cool it to 90K where it becomes superconducting?

inha said:
Crystal growth maybe but lattice structure definately is not!
True. Hadn't really thought about that lol.

inha said:
Assuming that you've managed to create proper YBCO do you even have a way to cool it to 90K where it becomes superconducting?

yes, I have a supply of LN2 that I am working with.

-Christastic- said:
yes, I have a supply of LN2 that I am working with.

You don't happen to have a XRD setup to see if it crystallized right? It's either that or your experimental setup isn't working.

I don't have any equipment set up to see if the lattice is correct or not, but we do have the equipment I believe. Was hoping that I wouldn't have to go to those lengths.

The experimental setup is simple enough, just an electronic scale, about 20 styrofoam cups, a magnet and a ring stand. I was hoping for just a little bit of the Meissner effect to show up and tell me what I'm doing is right but so far I've got nothing.

Instead of trying to observe the meissner effect, try to measure the resistance instead. Also, from the listed equipment, you don't have a thermometer, make sure you know its at or below the needed temperature, it can take a lil while to drop to the needed temperature using Liq. nitro. :approve:

A few question. What method are you using? Solid State reaction? What temperature is your sintering step? How long are you annealing the sample? You are anealing in O2? The RE123's are pretty easy to make. A few of them need to be processed in a Ar atomsphere first and then annealed in O2.

1. What is a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor?

A 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor is a type of high-temperature superconductor made up of three elements: yttrium, barium, and copper oxide. It is called 1-2-3 because the ratio of these elements in the compound is 1:2:3. This type of superconductor exhibits superconductivity at relatively high temperatures, making it more practical for use in various applications.

2. How does one fabricate a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor?

Fabricating a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor involves several steps. First, the elements (yttrium, barium, and copper) are mixed in the correct ratio and heated to a high temperature to form a powder. This powder is then compressed into a pellet and sintered at a high temperature. The resulting pellet is then heated and reacted with oxygen to form the superconducting material. Finally, the material is cooled in the presence of a magnetic field to align the superconducting domains and achieve maximum superconductivity.

3. What are the properties of a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor?

A 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor has several unique properties. It has a critical temperature of around 92 K, which is relatively high for a superconductor. It also has a high critical current density, meaning it can carry a large amount of electrical current without resistance. Additionally, it has a high critical magnetic field, making it useful for applications in strong magnetic fields.

4. What are the potential applications of a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor?

The high critical temperature and current density of 1-2-3 YBCO superconductors make them suitable for various applications. Some potential uses include high-speed trains, magnetic levitation systems, and MRI machines. They can also be used in energy-efficient power transmission and storage systems.

5. What are the challenges in fabricating a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor?

Fabricating a 1-2-3 YBCO superconductor can be challenging due to the high reactivity of the elements involved. Oxygen is particularly difficult to control during the fabrication process and can affect the final properties of the material. Additionally, achieving uniformity and alignment of the superconducting domains can be challenging and can impact the overall performance of the material.