Is there a career that combines engineering and theoretical physics?

• Thread starter VantagePoint72
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a career that combines aerospace engineering and theoretical physics. The individual expresses interest in both fields and wonders if there are any jobs that combine the two. Another person mentions that astrophysicists and particle physicists often have to design and oversee experiments, requiring a mix of engineering and physics knowledge. The conversation concludes with a comment about a successful person who is both an aeronautical engineer and a physicist, challenging the notion that engineering and theorizing are polar opposites.
VantagePoint72
I was wondering if someone could help me out here...
there are two career paths I'd be interested in following. One is aerospace engineering. The other is theoretical physics. I love the physics of fluid dynamics, orbital trajectories, etc. but I also love things like relativity, quantum mechanics, string theory, etc. I know that by definition engineering and theorizing are polar opposites, but I was wondering if anyone new of any sort of career that sort of combines the two. Is there any such thing as a physicist who studies the nature of the Universe and then uses this information to engineer new space technologies or experiments to test the theories?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Man, wish I could help you there. An aerospace engineering job with quantum mechanics sounds like fun though!

There are many places where the two fields come together.

Astrophysicists have to design special purpose cameras for their work; particle physicists have to design accelerators. Most physical experiments require quite sophisticated apparatus, and a sort of half-engineer/half-physicist is needed to design and oversee their construction. Such people are called 'experimentalists.'

- Warren

Likes DeBangis21
OK, thanks. I'll look into that, it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

LastOneStanding said:
I I know that by definition engineering and theorizing are polar opposites,

You are so wrong. The "commander-in-chief" of the department in which I am working at now (Fluid Mechanics) is an aeronautical engineer and Ph.D. in physics engineering and he is one of the best sciencist in this field, better than any physicist or mathmatician. You may be surprised how he theorizes.

FAQ: Is there a career that combines engineering and theoretical physics?

What is the difference between engineering and theorizing?

Engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design, build, and maintain structures, machines, devices, systems, and processes. It involves practical problem-solving and creating tangible solutions. Theorizing, on the other hand, is the process of developing and testing abstract ideas and concepts. It involves creating theories and models to explain phenomena and predict outcomes.

Which is more important, engineering or theorizing?

Both engineering and theorizing are important in their own ways. Engineering is necessary for creating practical solutions to real-world problems, while theorizing is crucial for advancing knowledge and understanding in a particular field. They are complementary and work together to drive progress and innovation.

Do engineers also engage in theorizing?

Yes, engineers often engage in theorizing as part of their work. They may develop theories and models to guide their designs and predict the behavior of their creations. They may also collaborate with scientists and other experts to improve their understanding of the underlying principles and mechanisms behind their engineering projects.

How does engineering impact society?

Engineering has a significant impact on society by providing solutions to everyday problems and improving the quality of life. It has led to advancements in transportation, communication, healthcare, and many other areas. Engineers also play a crucial role in addressing global challenges such as climate change, sustainable energy, and access to clean water.

Why is theorizing important in the field of engineering?

Theorizing is important in engineering because it allows engineers to understand the fundamental principles and concepts that govern the physical world. This understanding can then be applied to create innovative and efficient solutions. Theorizing also allows engineers to anticipate potential problems and optimize their designs for better performance.

Back