What Makes Drug Movies So Compelling?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary, Gokul recommends 12 Monkeys, Kill Bill 2, Man on Fire, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. He also recommends catching up on older films before seeing the latest releases. He has not watched any movies in a while and has not heard of many good ones, but he enjoyed L'auberge Espagnole.
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Watched any good movies lately, that you would definitely recommend ?

I haven't watched any movies in a while now, mostly because I haven't heard of there being that many good ones. I did watch one movie (dvd) this weekend - L'auberge Espagnole (2002) - I quite enjoyed it. :approve:

Time to catch up on all the good movies that I've been missing...suggestions, anyone ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just watched 12 Monkeys which came out in 1995. It's a story about the vicious cycle of time. I am sure that you, Gokul, as sci-fi-trivia-master, should have seen the movie already. If not, I highly recommend it.

This is probably stating the obvious as well but I watched the remastered version of 2001- A Space Odyssey a while ago and enjoyed it immensely, totally fascinating and mind-boggling for me.

I loved 'Kill Bill' 1 and 2... but you need to be a bit of a Tarantino fan...

"The Last Samurai" was a fantastic film too - nothing like I expected, very informative, and well worth watching.

I'm planning to see "House of the Flying Daggers" soon..
That's the new film from the director of the amazing "Hero".

Did anyone here ever see Carpenter's Cult Classic "Dark Star"? I love that film - I laugh so much every time I see it!

The lift scene cracks me up... and as for the Alien! A big plastic blow up ball!

I just saw Kill Bill 2 (finally), and loved it. I also saw Man on Fire recently, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I recently saw a SciFi on TV called The Cube that surprised me a bit. Not only was it better than I expected, it actually had a plot, not just special effects, which is unusual these days for SciFi.

Pulp Fiction.

Clockwork Orange.

Reservoir Dogs.

Team America: World...

All incredible movies. Practically perfect in every aspect.

It depends on your approach to films. I tend to avoid industry films and entertainment films. I'm not interested in cinema as a business or as a rollercoaster ride; I'm interested in cinema as an art form (even though I have serious reservations about the worth of art (an old PF thread)). I prefer films made by a single artist or a tightly knit group of artists. I would use the term "independent film", but that term has been abused in recent years.

I tend to agree a lot with the film critic, Ray Carney. I wouldn't say I agree with him about everything -- no way -- but I agree with him more than any other film critic. Read about some of his opinions on cinema here:

http://people.bu.edu/rcarney/independentfilm/

I think before you see the latest films, you need to catch up with what you have surely missed -- and that would include some very old films. If you're really keen, I would suggest working through the Criterion Collection:

http://www.criterionco.com/asp/browse.asp

Well-known directors I recommend include:

Andrei Tarkovsky
Ingmar Bergman
Robert Bresson
Yasujiro Ozu
Akira Kurosawa
John Cassavetes
Carl Dreyer
Mike Leigh

A couple of lists of mostly fine directors:

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/contents/directors/index.html
http://www.filmref.com/directors/directors.html

Then there's various genres like silent films (chaplin, griffith, murnau), documentaries, and stop-frame animation (svankmajer, brothers quay).

Maybe I being cynical, but I think I may have just wasted my time with this post. The mainstream view on films is so incredibly entrenched. It's a far different story for music. Go figure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kafka with Jeremy Irons

I watched the remastered version of 2001- A Space Odyssey
I've seen the english version recently. It was a contrast for me to hear the soft tone of voice of HAL in this version, I was used to the raucous tone that has in the spanish version. I certainly missed that the protagonist didn't say "It's full of stars!" when he felt right into the monolite

Casablanca is probabally the best movie ever. Every single scene means something, no filler, just a great movie.

recon said:
I just watched 12 Monkeys which came out in 1995. It's a story about the vicious cycle of time. I am sure that you, Gokul, as sci-fi-trivia-master, should have seen the movie already. If not, I highly recommend it.
I second the sentiment that you sh\ould see 12 monkeys, great movie in general. My avatar is actually a shot of Brad Pitt from that movie.

Fight Club is another really great Brad Pitt movie.

Tom Mattson said:
I also saw Man on Fire recently, and I enjoyed it a lot.

That was great.

I just saw A Few Good Men again yesterday. Man, that is a good movie. Got to love Tom Cruise.

It's been quite a while since I last went to Movie Gallery. Plan on taking a little trip there next week, however.

Adrian Baker said:
Did anyone here ever see Carpenter's Cult Classic "Dark Star"? I love that film - I laugh so much every time I see it!

The lift scene cracks me up... and as for the Alien! A big plastic blow up ball!

"Dark Star" is one of my favorite movies, funny like hell! :rofl: I have that movie on tape and once in a while watch it. I also like Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" amazing movie.

tumor said:
I also like Akira Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai" amazing movie.

Great movie. Have you seen the "Musashi" trilogy?

I've seen Akira Kurosawa's "Rashomon". I also have Kurosawa's "Ran", "Seven Samurai" and "Yojimbo" - all of them highly recommended by movie critics - but I have not had the time to watch them.

Gokul, even if you don't like Anime, I highly recommend "Grave of the Fireflies". It's a touching story set in WWII about a little girl and her brother who lose their parents to the war. I don't usually like anime, but this movie definitely struck a chord with me.

I didn't know there was a "Musashi" trilogy but I have heard of and played a Playstation game of a similar title. It was a great RPG game.

Last edited:
recon said:
I didn't know there was a "Musashi" trilogy but I have heard of and played a Playstation game of a similar title. It was a great RPG game.

A Playstation game with the same title? I've never heard of it. Anyway, it's just a movie based on the book of the same title by Eiji Yoshikawa, which is a great novel, by the way. However, it's quite expensive, $30 for each DVD on Amazon. Ouch!

It's the first time since in a long time I'm going through Woody Allen movies, and I'm really enjoying them! First Take the Money and Run, which was really funny :biggrin: And then there was especially one scene in Everything you wanted to know about Sex but where afraid to ask, where that guy comes and says he's a love in a sheep, and there's this awkward silence. Then I just cracked up :rofl:
Hannah and her Sisters were cute too.

Last edited:
I enjoy Kurosawa.

I am not really into anime...but I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure though, that I'll find 'Grave of the Fireflies' at Blockbuster.

You guys seem to be getting on the right track ... any work of Takeshi Kitano is worthwhile.

I saw Man on Fire the other day. It was awesome.

Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander is fantastic, as is Andrei Tarkovskij's Andrei Rublyov—IMHO two of the finest films ever.

For a more recent (and shorter and less depressing :wink: ) film, I recommend The Triplets of Belleville.

Since people are recommending Japanese directors, I'll mention Juzo Itami (Tampopo, A Taxing Woman, Minbo).

An obscure but fun movie is the Australian comedy Malcolm about a geeky inventor and some bank robbers who carry out a heist using (among other things) a wandering pack of remote controlled ashtrays. The movie also features a Volkswagen beetle that splits in half down the center and drives off as two separate vehicles...

Ingmar Bergman's Fanny and Alexander is fantastic

Hear you ... a masterpiece !

Ivan Seeking said:
I recently saw a SciFi on TV called The Cube that surprised me a bit. Not only was it better than I expected, it actually had a plot, not just special effects, which is unusual these days for SciFi.

I saw that recently too! pretty crazy stuff wasnt it?

My two cents... The Bourne Identity and The Bourne Supremacy

Or how about 13th Warrior?

"Messenger" about Joan D'arc and 100 year war, lots of blood and gore but life in medieval times was like that.

New films I've seen recently are "Saw" and "Collateral". "Saw" was very twisted, but ok and "Collateral" was pretty good. I also recently bought "Taking Lives" on DVD and that was great IMO.

Wow, I must be in the wrong forum. Cause I would never want to hang out with a bunch of people who watched movies like these.
Are you sure we are talking about real movies? I think that not only do I not watch the channels that show these movies, but I erase the channel every time I reprogram my TV.
Give me a South Park marathon, the Matrix, Blazing Saddles and Nova and I'm a happy camper.

I like most of Luc Besson's work (despite the blood) and the couple of Itami flicks I've seen...can't remember names. Will look out for Fanny...

Bergman's latest film, "Serenade" (it's from 2002-2003) is also a nice little piece from an old master.

"Tombstone of fire flies": quite a sad movie. i don't think Gokul will be able to find this in your place.
"Tears of the sun( bruce willis) : quite a good movie also. it answers the question "why does somebody risk his life to safe others when he knows that he is going to die ?".

Watch "Team America: World Police" It has to be one of the funnest movies I have ever seen. Beware; some of the content may be consider this movie to be "offisive". So don't say I did warn you.

Donnie Darko... good stuff.

Gokul43201 said:
I like most of Luc Besson's work (despite the blood) and the couple of Itami flicks I've seen...can't remember names. Will look out for Fanny...

I've only seen Luc Besson's Leon The Professional, and it was AWESOME!

I decided to check out his profile at www.imdb.com and guess what I found out? These are the movies he is currently working on:

Flora Plum (2005) (in production) (producer)
Miss June (2004) (in production) (producer)
Spécial police (2004) (in production) (producer)
Filles du botaniste chinois, Les (2005) (pre-production) (producer)
Bandidas (2005) (pre-production) (executive producer) (producer)
Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, The (2005) (filming) (executive producer)
Arthur (2006) (filming) (producer)
Revolver (2005/I) (filming) (co-producer)
Texas n'existe pas, Le (2005) (filming) (producer)
Au suivant! (2005) (post-production) (associate producer) (co-producer) (uncredited)
Ze film (2005) (post-production) (co-producer)
Yeux clairs, Les (2005) (post-production) (co-producer)
Colour Me Kubrick (2005) (post-production) (co-producer)
Transporter 2, The (2005) (post-production) (producer)
Souffleur, Le (2004) (post-production) (co-producer)
Banlieue 13 (2004) (post-production) (producer)
Unleashed (2005/I) (completed) (producer)
À ton image (2004) (completed) (associate producer) (uncredited)

He must be some sort of mutant. :bugeye:

runaway train