Max Area of Rectangle Yard Using X Fence Feet: Math GRE Q13

In summary, x feet of fencing is to form three sides of a level rectangular yard. The maximum possible area of the yard, in terms of x, is x^2/9.
moo5003
Question:

A total of x feet of fencing is to form three sides of a level rectangular yard. What is the maximum possible area of the yard, in terms of x?

Answer:

My first guess is x^2 / 9 if you assume the yard is square. I'm a little unsure of my answer since for either the horizontal or vertical (depending on how you set up your yard) you only have to fence one side of the yard, thus it may be beneficial to extend that side since you are required to fence less of it and increase overall area. Can anyone please explain their answer in comparison to mine?

What I did:
A= Area
X= Fencing in feet
L= Length
W= Width

A= L*W
X = 2W + L

Thus:
X = 2W + A/W
XW - 2W^2 = A

Which takes a maximum at W = X/4

Thus area should be maximized at L = X/2, W= X/4 thus maximum area is X^2/8

Questions:
This is for the subject Math GRE (Question 13 on the prep exam), how would any of you do this quickly? My way seemed to take more time then I would want to spend on something like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
moo5003, your approach looks good, although I did not examine the latter steps in any detail. Apparant is that you have a quadratic term with a negative sign, which is good because you will want to obtain a parabola with the vertex at a maximum point.

Your answer is correct. And you have done it quickly: that is the way pretty much anyone would show the solution. The only step you didn't show was

d/dW (XW - 2W^2) = d/dW (A)

--> X - 4W = 0

and you have the rest.

The only situation for a "fencing problem" where the maximal area/minimal perimeter solution is a square is when the fencing material is used only for the full perimeter of the enclosure or where any partitioning of the enclosure is performed with four-fold symmetry (equal numbers of north-south and east-west partitions). Other arrangements disrupt the simplest symmetry of the enclosure and produce "extremal" solutions which are not squares.

Last edited:
This is another method I came up with that I believe is faster.

X = 2W + L; where X is a constant.

which can also be rewritten as:

L = -2W + X; Think of this as y=mx+b (so L-axis is y-axis and W-axis is x-axis)

X is L-intercept) and 2W is the W-intercept)

Then the max of a rectangle with one vertex on this line is at (W, X/2) (middle of the line)

Which means L = X/2 and then use X = 2W + L to find W (which comes out to W = X/4)

Finally: A = L*W = (X/2)(X/4) = (x^2)/8

Sorry if my notation got confusing in the middle.

1. What is the formula for calculating the maximum area of a rectangle yard using X fence feet?

The formula for the maximum area of a rectangle yard using X fence feet is A = X/4 * (X/2), where X is the length of one side of the yard.

2. How does the length of the fence affect the maximum area of the yard?

The length of the fence directly affects the maximum area of the yard. The longer the fence, the larger the area that can be enclosed. However, there is a limit to how much the area can increase as the fence length increases.

3. Is there a specific value for X that will result in the maximum area for any given fence length?

Yes, the value of X that will result in the maximum area is X/4. This is because the maximum area of a rectangle occurs when the length and width are equal.

4. Can the same formula be used for calculating the maximum area of a square yard?

Yes, the same formula can be used for calculating the maximum area of a square yard. In this case, the length of one side (X) will be equal to the length of the other side, resulting in a simplified formula of A = X²/4.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the maximum area of the yard?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the maximum area of the yard. These include any obstacles or uneven terrain within the yard, as well as the type and placement of the fence. These factors can impact the actual usable area within the yard.