What is the magnetic flux through the loop

In summary, the problem involves a 10 cm x 10 cm square that is bent at a 90° angle. A uniform 0.050 T magnetic field points downward at a 45° angle. The goal is to find the magnetic flux through the loop. The formula for magnetic flux, Φ = AB cos θ, can be used, where A represents the area and θ represents the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector to the surface. To determine the area, it is necessary to find the hypotenuse of the triangle formed by the bent square. The flux will be parallel to the vector defining the area, so the cosine term can be eliminated. Finally, once the area is determined, the
jlmessick88

Homework Statement

A 10 cm x 10 cm square is bent at a 90° angle . A uniform 0.050 T magnetic field points downward at a 45° angle. What is the magnetic flux through the loop?

Homework Equations

Φ = AB cos θ
Φ = (pi * r^2)B cos θ

The Attempt at a Solution

b = .050 T
cosθ = 45
this is where I'm getting stuck...for A, would i just use length * width (.1m * .1m)
--> .01 * .05 T * cos 45

i'm just unsure of how to approach the problem with the square being bent...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you elaborate on what you mean by bent?

Bent in the middle? Or at a 90° angle to the horizon?

here's a picture

Attachments

• Q8.doc
    30 KB · Views: 438
any ideas? anyone??

your attachment isn't working, but i would assume it is bent in the middle forming a triangle with 2 parts being .05m. find the hypotonuse of that triangle, and use that and the part of the square remaining straight to form a new area. the flux will be parallel to the vector that defines the area, so the cosine will drop out. hope this helps.

Image.jpg

i would try using the plane i outlined with red arrows for your area.

Flux= E x dA cos(theta), where cosine is the vector that defines the area of the plane. usually, this vector is normal (perpendicular) to the surface of the plane. when the area vector and the electric field are parallel, the cosine=1 and is the maximum flux that can pass through the plane.

so basically that means...
c^2 = a^2 + b^2 = 7
(7*10)(.05)cos(1) = 2.5??

1. What is magnetic flux through a loop?

Magnetic flux through a loop is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through the loop. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of webers (Wb).

2. How is magnetic flux calculated?

Magnetic flux through a loop is calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the loop that is perpendicular to the magnetic field. The equation for magnetic flux is Φ = B x A, where B is the magnetic field strength and A is the area of the loop.

3. What factors affect the magnetic flux through a loop?

The magnetic flux through a loop is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the size and shape of the loop, and the angle between the magnetic field and the loop. A larger magnetic field, a larger loop area, and a perpendicular orientation between the field and loop will result in a higher magnetic flux.

4. How is magnetic flux different from magnetic field?

Magnetic flux and magnetic field are related but different concepts. Magnetic field is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic field at a particular point, while magnetic flux is a measure of how much magnetic field is passing through a loop. In other words, magnetic field is a point quantity, while magnetic flux is a surface quantity.

5. Why is magnetic flux important?

Magnetic flux is important because it helps us understand and quantify the effects of magnetic fields. It is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy to study and analyze magnetic phenomena. Additionally, magnetic flux plays a crucial role in generating electricity in generators and motors.