Magnetic flux through a loop at two orientations

In summary, the magnetic flux through the loop due to the external magnetic field is zero when the plane of the loop and the magnetic field vector are parallel.
superslow991

Homework Statement

A circular loop of radius 0.10 m is rotating in a uniform external magnetic field of 0.20 T. Find the magnetic flux through the loop due to the external field when the plane of the loop and the magnetic field vector are
(a) parallel.
(b) perpendicular.

Homework Equations

BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the answers for this problem but I am having trouble with the direction of the field and area and also the angle between them
For part a- I know its BAcos(90) but why is the angle 90 degrees? I was under the impression if the field and the loop are parrallel the angle should be 0?

For part b- Same thing BAcos(0) i thought the angle was suppose to be 90 degrees if they are perpendicular?

[Mentor note: Thread title adjusted to make it descriptive of the problem]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Consult your textbook or notes to see how the angle θ is defined in the expression BAcosθ.

superslow991 said:

Homework Statement

** EDITED ORIGINALPOST
A circular loop of radius 0.10 m is rotating in a uniform external magnetic field of 0.20 T. Find the magnetic flux through the loop due to the external field when the plane of the loop and the magnetic field vector are
(a) parallel.

Homework Equations

BAcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

So i know if the field and the loop are parallel the angle is 0 so i tried

flux = (0.2)*(0.03141)*cos(0) = 0.06282 but the answer is suppose to be 0.

This would be true if the if i did (0.2)*(0.03141)*cos(90) so I am not sure where I am at fault.

θ is not the angle between the plane of the loop and B. It's the angle between the normal direction of the loop and B.

Likes superslow991
TSny said:
θ is not the angle between the plane of the loop and B. It's the angle between the normal direction of the loop and B.
Thanks, is there anyway i can read up on this?

superslow991 said:
Thanks, is there anyway i can read up on this?
Of course. The information is readily available if you have a web browser.

Do a web search on the terms of interest, say: "magnetic flux loop angle".

Likes superslow991

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the amount of magnetic field passing through a given area.

2. How is magnetic flux through a loop calculated?

The magnetic flux through a loop is calculated by taking the product of the magnetic field strength and the area of the loop, and then multiplying it by the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field vector and the normal vector of the loop.

3. How does the orientation of a loop affect the magnetic flux through it?

The orientation of a loop can affect the magnetic flux through it by changing the angle between the magnetic field vector and the normal vector of the loop, which in turn affects the cosine term in the flux calculation. This means that the magnetic flux through a loop will be different at different orientations.

4. What is the significance of measuring magnetic flux through a loop at two orientations?

Measuring magnetic flux at two orientations allows us to determine the direction of the magnetic field, as well as the strength of the magnetic field at the location of the loop. This information is important in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on objects.

5. How can I use the concept of magnetic flux through a loop in practical applications?

The concept of magnetic flux through a loop is used in various practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators, where changing magnetic fields are used to generate electricity. It is also used in magnetic sensors and compasses, as well as in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).