Reviewing Math: Should I Take Calculus or Pre-Calc?

• Thread starter Asian Girl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Need advice
In summary, the decision to take Calculus or Pre-Calc depends on your math proficiency and future goals. Calculus is generally considered more difficult, but taking it in high school can give you an advantage in college. It is possible to take both courses at the same time, but it may be challenging. Taking both can provide a well-rounded understanding of advanced math concepts and benefit those pursuing STEM fields.
Asian Girl
I haven't touched any math since 2000. Should I take calculus now or go back to pre cal to refresh my memory?

I wasn't bad in math in high school or first year of college (1999) at all. Would it be fine if I can review by myself? any suggestion book to review?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
must do some Pre-calc first ..
I like Stewart's books.

FAQ: Reviewing Math: Should I Take Calculus or Pre-Calc?

1. Should I take Calculus or Pre-Calc?

It depends on your level of mathematical proficiency and your future academic and career goals. If you are strong in math and plan to pursue a field that requires advanced math skills, then taking Calculus may be beneficial. However, if you struggle with math or do not plan to pursue a math-heavy career, Pre-Calc may be a better option.

2. Is Calculus more difficult than Pre-Calc?

Calculus is considered to be more challenging than Pre-Calc because it involves more complex concepts and techniques. However, this may also depend on individual strengths and weaknesses in math.

3. Will taking Calculus in high school give me an advantage in college?

Taking Calculus in high school can give you a head start in college, as it is often a required course for many majors. It can also demonstrate to colleges that you have a strong foundation in math and are capable of handling challenging coursework.

4. Can I take Pre-Calc and Calculus at the same time?

It is possible to take both Pre-Calc and Calculus simultaneously, but it may be a difficult workload for some students. It is important to consider your time management skills and other commitments before taking on both courses at once.

5. What are the benefits of taking both Calculus and Pre-Calc?

Taking both Calculus and Pre-Calc can provide a well-rounded understanding of advanced math concepts and prepare you for more challenging courses in college. It can also be beneficial for students pursuing majors or careers in STEM fields.