Understanding Base Value Calculations: Line vs Phase Voltage Explained"

• Thread starter anon6912
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Base
In summary, when calculating base values for current and impedance in polyphase AC circuits, it is common to use the total 3-phase power and line-to-line voltage as base quantities. This is because only two base quantities can be selected independently, and using these two allows for the calculation of the base current and base impedance. The base impedance is found by connecting it in a star fashion with the base voltage, resulting in the base current.
anon6912
When calculating base values for current, impedance etc
do we use the line to line voltage or the phase voltage?

What's the reason for using one over the other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is a "line to the line voltage"? What is "phase voltage"? I don't understand your question.

My best guess is that he's asking about polyphase AC circuits, likely 3-phase.

I don't know much about 3-phase though.

If you are talking about per-unit system, this is the usual practicce.
Take Total 3-phase power S, as base power,
Take Line-to-Line voltage V, as base Voltage V.
Take Line-Current I, as base Current
Take an Impedance Z, as base impedance

But since you can only select two Base quantities independently, If you say take S and V as the initial base quantities (which is the usual practice) then
I = S / sqrt(3)*V

Now, the Impedance Z is assumed to be that impedance Z, which when connected in Star fashion in a 3 phase line with line-to-line voltage *V* will result in line Current *I*.

So, I hope that now you can find the base impedance Z, from the base voltage V and base Power S.

What is the purpose of calculating base values?

Calculating base values is important in many scientific fields, as it allows us to establish a starting point or reference point for further calculations and measurements. It also helps to standardize data and make comparisons between different sets of data.

How do you calculate a base value?

The method for calculating a base value can vary depending on the specific context, but in general, it involves determining a starting point or reference point and then using specific equations or formulas to calculate the base value. This may involve taking measurements, performing experiments, or using mathematical calculations.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculated base values?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculated base values, including measurement errors, experimental conditions, and the use of incorrect equations or formulas. It is important to carefully consider and control these factors in order to obtain accurate and reliable base values.

Can calculated base values change over time?

In some cases, calculated base values may change over time due to various factors such as changes in experimental conditions, improvements in measurement techniques, or updated equations and formulas. It is important to regularly review and update base values when necessary in order to maintain accuracy.

What are some common applications of calculated base values in scientific research?

Calculated base values are used in a wide range of scientific research and applications, including but not limited to: determining the melting point of a substance, establishing the reference value for a measurement scale, calculating the half-life of a radioactive substance, and determining the standard deviation in a data set.