Phase currents of Trapezoidal switching

In summary, the conversation discusses calculations for the RMS value of phase voltage in a motor with a supply voltage of 20V and a phase-phase resistance of 0.57 Ohms. The conversation also touches on the influence of inductance and back emf on current flow. The participants also discuss the use of different waveforms and the best phase configuration for cancellation of harmonics. The conversation concludes with a question about the practical and efficient design of a motor and the potential reasons for using only 2/3 of the supply voltage.
PhysicsTest
TL;DR Summary
Calculate the phase currents for trapezoidal switching
For trapezoidal switching or 180 degree switching these are the waveforms when i referred to the website
180 switching

1684308510462.png

when i calculated the RMS value of the phase voltage it is Vp = 0.4714Vs
so assuming the
Vs = supply voltage = 20V
and each phase - phase resistance as per the data sheet is 0.57 Ohms. So, the current is 16.52 amps in each phase? Are my calculations correct? Please advise.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Show your assumptions

Now i understand that the currents also depend on the inductance and the back emf of the motor connected. But one doubt is if the applied voltage and the back emf are equal then 0 correct flow. How does it happen?
TonyStewart said:
Show your assumptions
Sorry I don't understand this. Assumptions with regard to motor?

Yes all assumptions include RdsOn of source and complex load impedance for RMS current, backEMF @ RPM but a quick simulation on my part proves you are close to my answer for a pure 570m load of 16.46 Arms ... in theory, in practise is always different.

for +/- 13.33V with steps normalized to 1,2,1,-1,-2,-1.

There are harmonic differences with 8 phases and others, which do you think is best for cancellation? Considering magnetics are strong odd harmonics. Ask your prof.

Likes PhysicsTest
If T is the shortest cycle at max RPM, and ##\tau=L/DCR## what would you expect for a good practical efficient motor for max Tau/T? and why? 1% , 10%, 100% ?
Also why would one ever want to use only 2/3 of Vs? Or just hypothetical Academic?

1. What are phase currents of Trapezoidal switching?

Phase currents of Trapezoidal switching refer to the electric currents that flow through the three phases of a three-phase AC system during switching. These currents are used to power various electrical devices and are essential for the functioning of the system.

2. How are phase currents of Trapezoidal switching measured?

Phase currents of Trapezoidal switching can be measured using a variety of methods such as clamp meters, current transformers, and shunt resistors. These devices measure the amount of current flowing through each phase and provide accurate readings.

3. What is the significance of phase currents of Trapezoidal switching in power systems?

Phase currents of Trapezoidal switching play a crucial role in power systems as they determine the amount of power that can be delivered to electrical devices. These currents need to be carefully monitored and controlled to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the system.

4. How do phase currents of Trapezoidal switching affect the overall efficiency of a power system?

The phase currents of Trapezoidal switching can impact the efficiency of a power system in several ways. High currents can lead to power losses and reduce the overall efficiency of the system. Additionally, the phase currents need to be balanced to prevent overloading of any one phase, which can also affect efficiency.

5. Can phase currents of Trapezoidal switching be controlled?

Yes, phase currents of Trapezoidal switching can be controlled using various techniques such as pulse width modulation, voltage regulation, and current limiting. These methods help to regulate the amount of current flowing through each phase and maintain a balanced and stable system.