Another short story themes

• Thread starter student007
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, the short story "The Blue and the Green" by Kazakov explores the theme of young love and its impermanence. The story follows a young man who falls in love with a girl, but they eventually grow apart and she marries someone else. The main character sees them together again years later, highlighting the awkwardness and bittersweet nature of young love. There is no specific term for this theme, but it can be seen as a common focus in various genres.
student007
In a short story by Kazakov called "The Blue and the Green", the main idea is:
- guy falls in love with girl when young
- girl dates guy for a few years and they fall in love
- they move apart, and eventually girl dates other guy.
- girl marries other guy and main guy sees them at an airport as they leave moscow forever

What is the theme called that refers to the awkwardness of young love, or is it just that theme?

Physics news on Phys.org
student007 said:
What is the theme called that refers to the awkwardness of young love, or is it just that theme?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'theme'. If I'm reading it correctly, then there isn't a specific name for it. If it's 'genre' that you're trying to pin down, that 'theme' can be the focus of anything from slapstick to tragedy. (:rofl: :cry: )

Um, how does your summary show 'awkwardness in young love' at all? I don't think it does. Isn't it more of a 'don't hold onto young love' kind of thing?

"awkwardness of young love"

I'd call it "puppy angst".

1. What are some common themes found in short stories?

Some common themes found in short stories include love, loss, coming of age, identity, and power dynamics.

2. How do themes contribute to the overall message of a short story?

Themes help to convey the underlying message or lesson of a short story by exploring universal human experiences and emotions.

3. Can a short story have more than one theme?

Yes, a short story can have multiple themes that work together to create a complex and nuanced message.

4. Are there any themes that are more prevalent in certain genres of short stories?

Yes, certain genres such as fantasy and science fiction often have themes related to imagination and the human condition, while horror and mystery stories may explore themes of fear and deception.

5. How can identifying themes in a short story enhance the reading experience?

Identifying themes in a short story can help readers to better understand the characters, plot, and overall message of the story. It can also allow readers to connect with the story on a deeper level and appreciate the author's intentions.