Am I naive to be working on a STEM degree at 20?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Blackwinter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree Stem
In summary, pursuing a STEM degree at the age of 20 is not too old and can be a valuable investment in your future. While there may be some challenges in catching up with peers who started earlier, age is not a barrier to pursuing a STEM degree and employers are more interested in your skills and knowledge rather than your age.
Blackwinter
I will be turning 21 soon and still have two semesters of prerequisites left until I can enter into a post-secondary program... Is this naive in anyway?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you think it's naive? Can you give some more information? Major? Any goals?

He or she is probably worried about being too young.

I wouldn't worry about that. Lot's of people successfully do these degrees staring at around your age. A lot really has to do more with maturity of the individual than age.

1. Am I too old to pursue a STEM degree at 20?

No, you are not too old to pursue a STEM degree at 20. Many people start their STEM education later in life and still have successful careers in the field.

2. Is it worth it to invest time and money in a STEM degree at 20?

Yes, pursuing a STEM degree at 20 can be a valuable investment in your future. It can lead to a wide range of job opportunities and a competitive salary.

3. Will I struggle to catch up with my peers who started their STEM degree earlier?

It is possible that you may face some challenges catching up with your peers who started their STEM degree earlier, but it is not impossible. With hard work and dedication, you can overcome any knowledge gaps and excel in your studies.

4. Are there any age restrictions for pursuing a STEM degree?

No, there are no age restrictions for pursuing a STEM degree. As long as you meet the academic requirements, you can pursue a STEM degree at any age.

5. Will my age affect my job prospects after completing a STEM degree at 20?

Your age may not have a significant impact on your job prospects after completing a STEM degree at 20. Employers are often more interested in your skills, knowledge, and experience rather than your age.