Choosing one's Master's thesis

In summary: My question is more or less: what are my chances of finishing a project I started without any prior experience in the field?Your chances of finishing a project you started without any prior experience in the field are... slim.
Bertin
Dear all,

I open this thread hoping you can give me some advice on the situation that follows. I am ending my master degree in Physics, with a strong curiosity—and almost complete ignorance of—quantum gravity. It is relevant here to let you know that the reason I am attracted to this/these problem(s) is that, I believe, searching a solution is process trying to marry radically different formalisms and, consequently, deeply revising how we conceive reality.

Now, a professor with very good reputation has proposed me to work on a specific problem relevant to understanding the ##{\rm AdS}_5\times S^5/{\rm CFT}## correspondence. The problem is that what he offers me to work on doesn't look too interesting to me, probably out of my ignorance too. On the other hand, no professor at my university seems to be working on quantum gravity. As a result, the question: should I go forward, engaging into a 6 month long semester project in a subject I am not sure I will enjoy? The reason I am still considering it is that 1. perhaps I discorver the problem interests me more that what I originally thought, 2. its reputation could help me find a PhD position—if I do a good job during the master thesis—and 3. no clear alternative is at sight.

Physics news on Phys.org
What other projects do you have available?

Ads/CFT correspondence is fun IMO.

Just let me get this straight, you know basically nothing about quantum gravity, but still want to do your master thesis about it and pursue a career in it? Sounds a bit "unicorns and rainbows" to me.

Here is a story of my life. As undergrad, I had an almost unhealthy love for particle physics. QCD was my favorite topic at the time. I entered my PhD studies in a group by doing a master thesis about extended Higgs sectors. I thought "well, I will get to QCD later". Suddenly, it became clear to me how "messy" QCD research is (at least in that subfield that my research groups was focusing on, basically just writing endless lines of codes in Fortran). And I thought particle physics was supposed to be elegant and full of nice symmetries and what not. So, I stayed in doing research about the EW sector - learning to love that subject and also discovered new applications such as cosmology and such.

Likes vanhees71 and Bertin
I have to agree with the above. If you really want to work on something that you state you have a complete ignorance of... that's a flag for trouble. If there's no one studying quantum gravity in your current school, you'll either have to choose a different topic or find a different school. But I wouldn't recommend changing schools unless you're really, really sure that's the direction you want to go.

In my experience, the people who are really successful in their fields are the ones who gravitate toward it anyway. Rather than a professor handing them a problem to work on, they approach the professor with an idea and ask for guidance on it and they work out a project outline together. That said, you're looking at a master's project. Sometimes you need to build up the experience of simply working through a project before you can develop ideas of your own.

Likes vanhees71, Bertin and malawi_glenn
You wrote in another thread that you love math.
Consider all the fun math that is involved in ads/cft.

Likes vanhees71
Just as a general clarification, I am not arrogant or naive to the point of wanting to do quantum gravity without knowing anything about it. I have a strong curiosity towards it by the little things I read about it, and I would like to employ my mater thesis time to work on something related to that field, that is, do a master thesis that is "causally related" to working on quantum gravity in a possible future, and that serves as a teaser of what that could be like---a bit like malawi_glenn did with QCD---. To be more concrete, I think I would strongly prefer to work with a group doing research on gravitational physics. Meanwhile, I am not attracted to the way quantum gravity is tackled with AdS/CFT, at least as far as I could understand, hence the fact that I am considering other options. Does all this sound more reasonable to you both? In any case, thank you for your time :)

Last edited:
Choppy said:
In my experience, the people who are really successful in their fields are the ones who gravitate toward it anyway. Rather than a professor handing them a problem to work on, they approach the professor with an idea and ask for guidance on it and they work out a project outline together. That said, you're looking at a master's project.
And to reply to this, you got the point right. With all my courses still going on, I did not find the time to investigate the subject enough as to be able to go to a professor with a specific problem in mind.

1. How do I choose a topic for my Master's thesis?

Choosing a topic for your Master's thesis can be a daunting task, but there are a few things you can do to make the process easier. First, think about your interests and strengths in your field of study. This will help you narrow down potential topics. You can also talk to your professors or colleagues for suggestions and advice. Additionally, consider the relevance and feasibility of your chosen topic, as well as the availability of resources and support.

2. Should I choose a topic that aligns with my career goals?

It is not necessary to choose a topic that directly aligns with your career goals, but it can be beneficial. Your Master's thesis is an opportunity to delve deeper into a specific area of your field, and choosing a topic that aligns with your career goals can help you gain valuable knowledge and skills that will be useful in your future career.

3. How do I ensure my Master's thesis topic is original?

Before finalizing your Master's thesis topic, it is important to do a thorough literature review to ensure that your topic has not been extensively researched before. You can also consult with your advisor or other experts in your field to get their feedback on the originality of your topic. Additionally, make sure to clearly define your research question or hypothesis to ensure that your work adds something new to the existing body of knowledge.

4. How do I balance my personal interests with the expectations of my advisor?

It is important to have open and honest communication with your advisor about your interests and goals for your Master's thesis. They can provide valuable guidance and feedback, but ultimately, it is your thesis and you should choose a topic that you are passionate about. However, it is also important to consider your advisor's expectations and make sure your topic aligns with the requirements and objectives of your program.

5. Can I change my Master's thesis topic once it has been approved?

In most cases, it is possible to change your Master's thesis topic after it has been approved. However, this should be done with caution and in consultation with your advisor. Changing your topic may require additional time and resources, so it is important to carefully consider the implications before making a decision. It is always best to communicate openly and honestly with your advisor throughout the process.