Formula involved in calculating Flexuliar Bending

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating stress using the frontal area of a sign and wind speed. It suggests using the overall force and treating the beams as cantilever beams to determine the flexural/normal stress.
ronmarie
Hi! I'm new.

I was just want to size Cloumn using a steel which carries a sign board area of 16.60 sq. m and a wind velocity of 130 Km/hr. is it possible to caculate the stress using those two (2) given?

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes.

Use the sign's frontal area and the wind speed to calculate the overall force. Once you have that you can assume the load is equally shared between the two beams. Treat them as cantilever beams with the force applied to the very end of the beam. From there it's basic beam theory to calculate the flexural/normal stress, i.e.

[tex]\sigma = \frac{My}{I}[/tex]

for your question. The formula for calculating flexural bending is: Stress = (M * c) / I, where M is the maximum bending moment, c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost fiber, and I is the moment of inertia of the cross-section.

In order to calculate the stress in your specific scenario, you will need to gather additional information such as the dimensions and shape of the steel column. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the stress using the given parameters of sign board area and wind velocity. Additionally, other factors such as the material properties of the steel and the design of the column will also affect the calculation. I recommend consulting with a structural engineer or using a structural analysis software to accurately determine the stress in your column.

FAQ: Formula involved in calculating Flexuliar Bending

1. What is the formula for calculating Flexuliar Bending?

The formula for calculating Flexuliar Bending is F = E * I / (L^2), where F is the Flexuliar Bending, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and L is the length of the beam.

2. How do I determine the modulus of elasticity for Flexuliar Bending?

The modulus of elasticity, E, can be determined by dividing the stress by the strain of the material being used. This value can also be found in material property tables.

3. What is the moment of inertia in Flexuliar Bending?

The moment of inertia, I, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In Flexuliar Bending, it is used to represent the cross-sectional area and shape of the beam.

4. Can the Flexuliar Bending formula be used for all types of beams?

Yes, the formula for Flexuliar Bending can be used for all types of beams, including rectangular, circular, and I-beams. However, the values for the modulus of elasticity and moment of inertia will vary depending on the beam's shape and material.

5. How is the length of the beam determined in the Flexuliar Bending formula?

The length of the beam, L, is the distance between the supports or points where the beam is fixed. This value is crucial in calculating Flexuliar Bending, as it directly affects the amount of bending force the beam can withstand.

Back