Calculating Capacity of Steel Rack: Yield Stress Issues

In summary: Apparently our boss doesn't know its capacity in tons so he assigned me to do it. Our section is overhauling of gearboxes, pulleys etc. And after these are fixed it is stacked in those racks. Our racks has 2-3 layers and the 25tons I have said was the capacity only of 1 layer. But I wondered when I computed for the stress with that known weight it is only in kilopascals so I wonder if it's wrong bc I have seen mostly stress capacities are is mega pascalsI'm guessing that you are not based in the US, because (hopefully) we would require professional engineer certification to be doing calculations like this. I will temporarily lock this thread to ask the other Ment
RJCanz
TL;DR Summary
Load capacity on Racks with steel pipes as load carrier
Hi guys. Recently I've been assigned to know / calculate the capacity of the racks in our section. Our racks has layered steel pipes that are carrying the loads. After actual testing it can carry a load around 25 tons after yielding or having a bend. So my next step was to calculate for its yield stress so I can calculated an allowable stress and an allowable load with a factor of safety right after. However, after calculating it's stress in which I used force over area (A = 3 sq.m.) I calculated a stress which only results to a kilopascal value while I have searched yield stresses of some materias are mostly in megapascals(MPa) is there wrong with my calculations? If there is, can you help me. Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:
RJCanz said:
Summary:: Load capacity on Racks with steel pipes as load carrier

Recently I've been assigned to know / calculate the capacity of the racks in our section. Our racks has layered steel pipes that are carrying the loads. After actual testing it can carry a load around 25 tons after yielding or having a bend.
That's a pretty heavy load! What is the application? If the racks fail, where does the load fall?

And why have you been assigned this calculation if you have to ask for help on the Internet? Seems strange to me...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

That's a pretty heavy load! What is the application? If the racks fail, where does the load fall?

And why have you been assigned this calculation if you have to ask for help on the Internet? Seems strange to me...
Apparently our boss doesn't know its capacity in tons so he assigned me to do it. Our section is overhauling of gearboxes, pulleys etc. And after these are fixed it is stacked in those racks. Our racks has 2-3 layers and the 25tons I have said was the capacity only of 1 layer. But I wondered when I computed for the stress with that known weight it is only in kilopascals so I wonder if it's wrong bc I have seen mostly stress capacities are is mega pascals

I'm guessing that you are not based in the US, because (hopefully) we would require professional engineer certification to be doing calculations like this. I will temporarily lock this thread to ask the other Mentors whether we should allow your thread to go forward...

UPDATE -- The thread will remain closed. Please seek the help of a professional engineer and have your insurance company sign off on the final design. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is the yield stress of steel?

The yield stress of steel is the amount of stress or force that a steel material can withstand before it begins to permanently deform or yield. It is typically measured in units of pounds per square inch (psi) or megapascals (MPa).

2. How does yield stress affect the capacity of a steel rack?

The yield stress of steel directly affects the capacity of a steel rack. The higher the yield stress, the stronger the steel material and the higher the capacity of the rack. However, exceeding the yield stress can lead to permanent deformation and failure of the rack.

3. How do you calculate the capacity of a steel rack?

The capacity of a steel rack can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the steel material by its yield stress. This will give the maximum load that the rack can safely support without exceeding the yield stress of the steel.

4. What factors can affect the yield stress of steel?

The yield stress of steel can be affected by several factors, including the type and grade of steel, the manufacturing process, the temperature and environment in which it is used, and any previous damage or wear on the steel material.

5. How can you ensure the yield stress of the steel rack is not exceeded?

To ensure that the yield stress of the steel rack is not exceeded, it is important to carefully calculate the load capacity of the rack and never exceed this limit. Regular inspections and maintenance of the rack can also help identify any potential issues or damage that could lead to exceeding the yield stress.