Help with Momentum & Kinetic Energy Homework

• Thread starter zvee_y
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, a 30-kg child moving at 4 m/s jumps onto a 50-kg sled on a frictionless sheet of ice. After coasting at constant speed, the child jumps off and comes to rest on the ice. The speed of the sled after the child's jump is 0 m/s, but the kinetic energy of the child-sled system is not zero. The equation used to solve for the speed is m1vi1+m2vi2=m1vf1+m2vf2.
zvee_y

Homework Statement

A 30-kg child moving at 4 m/s jumps onto a 50-kg sled that is initially at rest a long, frictionless, horizonal sheet of ice. After coasting at constant speed for a short time, the child jumps off the sled in such a way that she is ar rest with respect to the ice

Homework Equations

a.Determine the speed of the sled after the child jumps off it.
b.Determine the kinetic energy of the child-sled system when the child is at rest on the ice.

The Attempt at a Solution

a. So after the elastic collision, I use the equation
m1vi1+m2vi2=m1vf1+m2vf2 to solve for the speed by plug in: (30)(40)=(50)(vf), that means the child's speed after jump off the sled is 0. But then in b, the kinertic of her should be 0 too. I don't know if I did right.
Someone please help. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you did it right for the momentum. And in the case where the child is at rest with respect to the ice, her kinetic energy is zero, however it asks for the kinetic energy of the child-sled system, which is not zero.

oh ok ... i got it...Thank you!

1. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measurement of an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy is a measurement of an object's energy due to its motion. Momentum is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude.

2. How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related through the equation p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. This equation shows that as an object's mass increases, its momentum also increases, while an increase in velocity leads to an increase in both momentum and kinetic energy.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = mv, where p represents momentum, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. Momentum is measured in kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s).

4. How can I calculate kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 mv^2, where KE represents kinetic energy, m represents mass, and v represents velocity. Kinetic energy is measured in joules (J).

5. What are some real-life examples of momentum and kinetic energy?

Examples of momentum include a moving car, a baseball being thrown, and a person riding a bicycle. Examples of kinetic energy include a boulder rolling down a hill, a bullet fired from a gun, and a moving roller coaster. Both momentum and kinetic energy play important roles in everyday life and in the study of physics.