What's the coefficient of kinetic friction?

In summary: These machine-graded problems have a global accuracy tolerance for deciding whether the given answer is correct. So the course instructor is responsible for making sure that the number of significant figures in the given quantities is consistent with the tolerance. I advise @Austin Gibson to ask the course instructor what the tolerance is for future reference and to use at least 3 significant figures for machine-graded answers.
Austin Gibson

Homework Statement

:

A sled starts from rest at the top of a snow-covered incline that makes a 20° angle with the horizontal. After sliding 68 m down the slope, its speed is 17 m/s. Use the work–energy theorem to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction between the runners of the sled and the snowy surface.
[/B]
e6dc1f65e51e3499995a53f1ca807a43.png

Homework Equations

:

1. Fcos(theta)*r = work
2. .5*m*(v(final)^2 - v(initial)^2) = delta kinetic energy[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

: (IGNORE THE NEGATIVE SIGN AT THE END)
[/B]
5f0c590494c373a193baf443dfdf270c.png

Attachments

• a0262f51e98a2e949ba02da7dd2a6138.png
    a0262f51e98a2e949ba02da7dd2a6138.png
    4.7 KB · Views: 343
  • 5f0c590494c373a193baf443dfdf270c.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 5f0c590494c373a193baf443dfdf270c.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 570
  • e6dc1f65e51e3499995a53f1ca807a43.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 304
  • e6dc1f65e51e3499995a53f1ca807a43.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 482
Physics news on Phys.org
The coefficient of kinetic friction must be positive. Check your arithmetic.

Likes Austin Gibson
kuruman said:
The coefficient of kinetic friction must be positive. Check your arithmetic.
The OP says to ignore the minus sign, presumably because Austin noticed, after taking the image, that it had been erroneously introduced in the final step.
The (positive) answer looks right to me.

Likes Austin Gibson
haruspex said:
The OP says to ignore the minus sign, presumably because Austin noticed, after taking the image, that it had been erroneously introduced in the final step.
Right. I started responding when there was no attempt at a solution and my original response referred to that. Then my screen went blank and I was kicked out of the thread. When I reentered, I saw the image with the attempt at a solution but did not see OP's caution to ignore the negative sign. Not that it matters.

I submitted "0.13" as my answer. That answer was rejected. Proof:
0d0cd63f544bb32db1155084a3ee9bab.png

Attachments

• 0d0cd63f544bb32db1155084a3ee9bab.png
    0d0cd63f544bb32db1155084a3ee9bab.png
    631 bytes · Views: 374
haruspex said:
I submitted "0.13" as my answer, but when I copied my calculations from paper to the whiteboard to check it from a broader perspective and capture a picture, I forgot that the negatives canceled when you divide (144.5-228)/626 at the end. Nonetheless, I'm still stuck. ?:)

Austin Gibson said:
I submitted "0.13" as my answer, but when I copied my calculations from paper to the whiteboard to check it from a broader perspective and capture a picture, I forgot that the negatives canceled when you divide (144.5-228)/626 at the end. Nonetheless, I'm still stuck. ?:)
You are saying .13 is rejected?
I get .133, so maybe it wants another digit, but it should not require that since the data given are only to two significant figures.

Likes Austin Gibson
haruspex said:
I get .133, so maybe it wants another digit, but it should not require that since the data given are only to two significant figures.
Your instincts were correct, but that's ridiculous because, as you mentioned earlier, the measurements are listed in TWO significant figures... THANK YOU!

Last edited:
haruspex said:
Austin Gibson said:
Your instincts were correct, but that's ridiculous because, as you mentioned earlier, the measurements are listed in TWO significant figures... THANK YOU!
These machine-graded problems have a global accuracy tolerance for deciding whether the given answer is correct. So the course instructor is responsible for making sure that the number of significant figures in the given quantities is consistent with the tolerance. I advise @Austin Gibson to ask the course instructor what the tolerance is for future reference and to use at least 3 significant figures for machine-graded answers.

Likes Austin Gibson

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact when one of the surfaces is in motion. It is represented by the symbol μk and is a dimensionless quantity.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction determined?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be determined by performing experiments in which the force of friction is measured for different combinations of materials and surface textures. The ratio of the frictional force to the normal force applied is equal to the coefficient of kinetic friction.

What factors affect the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is affected by several factors, including the nature and roughness of the surfaces in contact, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants on the surfaces.

What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction refers to the force that must be overcome to set an object in motion, while kinetic friction refers to the force that resists the motion of an object that is already in motion. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction.

Why is the coefficient of kinetic friction important?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is important because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion. It is also a crucial factor in designing and engineering systems that involve moving parts, such as vehicles and machines.