Maximizing Area of Rectangle in x+3y=12 Plane

In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum area of a rectangle with sides on the x and y axes and a corner on the plane x+3y=12. To find the maximum area, the derivative of the area formula, A=xy, is taken with respect to y. Setting this derivative equal to 0 and solving for y yields y=2. Substituting this value of y into the area formula results in an area of 12 units. This solution does not involve Lagrange multipliers, as this concept has not yet been covered in the course.
imsoconfused

Homework Statement

A rectangle has sides on the x and y axes and a corner on the plane x+3y=12. Find its maximum area.

Homework Equations

A=xy=(12-3y)y

(A=12, according to the solution manual.)

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought the corner it was talking about lay on one of the axes, but now I realize that it is a point around (4,3). I know there is a derivative (partial?) I need to take, but I don't know which one and or what to do it with respect to. I've drawn a graph so I can see what I'm doing, but the professor just skimmed over maximixation and I'm really confused! This chapter is not at a point that Lagrange multipliers have been covered. That's the way I would expect to do it, obviously not.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, if you want to maximize set dA/dy=0. What's y?

dA/dy=12-6y. y=2, and then (12-3(2))*2=12 and that's the area. I knew it couldn't be that hard. thanks!

What is the formula for calculating the area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane?

The formula for calculating the area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane is A = xy, where x and y represent the length and width of the rectangle, respectively.

How do I maximize the area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane?

To maximize the area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane, you can use the following steps:1. Solve the equation x+3y=12 for either x or y.2. Substitute the value of x or y into the formula A = xy.3. Take the derivative of A with respect to the remaining variable.4. Set the derivative equal to 0 and solve for the remaining variable.5. Use the value of the remaining variable to calculate the maximum area of the rectangle.

Can I use any values for x and y to maximize the area of the rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane?

No, the values of x and y must satisfy the equation x+3y=12 in order to lie on the plane. However, you can choose different values that still satisfy the equation to find different rectangles with the same maximum area.

Is there a way to visualize the maximum area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane?

Yes, you can graph the equation x+3y=12 and plot points that satisfy the equation. The point that lies on the line and has the largest x and y values will correspond to the maximum area of the rectangle.

Can the formula for maximizing the area of a rectangle in the x+3y=12 plane be applied to other planes or equations?

Yes, the same steps can be applied to any equation in the form Ax+By=C, where A and B are coefficients of x and y, respectively. The only difference is that the equation may have a different solution and therefore a different maximum area.