How Does Optical Activity Help Measure Sugar Concentration?

In summary, the sugar concentration in a solution can be measured using the optical activity of sugar and other asymmetric molecules. This involves placing a sample of known thickness between two polarizing filters and comparing the intensity of light transmitted through them with a calibration chart. The percentage of incident light passing through the first filter is 50%, and for the second filter it is 0% when no sample is present. To determine the concentration of a sample, the intensity of light transmitted through the second filter is compared to the incident intensity. The Law of Malus is used to calculate the angle of rotation of the sample and the intensity of light for different concentrations.
Kathi201
The sugar concentration in a solution can be measured conveniently by using the optical activity of sugar nad other asymmetric molecules. In general, an optically active molecule like sugar will rotate the plane of polarization through an angle that is proportional to the thickness of the sample and to the concentration of the molecule. To measure the concentration of a given solution, a sample of known thickness is placed between two polarizing filters that are at right angles to each other. The intensity of light transmitted through the two filters can be compared with a calibration chart to determine the concentration.

a. What percentage of the incident (unpolarized) light will pass through the first filter?

b. If no sample is present, what percentage of the initial light will pass through the second filter

c. When a particular sample is placed between the two filters, the intensity of light emerging from the second filter is 40.0% of the incident intensity. Through what angle did the sample rotate the plane of polarization?

d. A second sample has half the sugar concentration of the first sample. Find the intensity of the light emerging from the second filter in this case.

For a my guess would be that the percentage would be 50% of half of the light will pass through the first filter.
For b my guess is that it would be 0% because then it would be at a 90 degree angle and cosine of 90 = 0
I am not quite sure how to do c and d either

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Kathi201 said:
For a my guess would be that the percentage would be 50% of half of the light will pass through the first filter.
For b my guess is that it would be 0% because then it would be at a 90 degree angle and cosine of 90 = 0
I am not quite sure how to do c and d either

a and b are correct answers. However, I'll point out that transmitted intensity depends on cos2θ. You still get 0 for a 90 degree angle, so it makes no difference in part b.

For c and d, use the fact that the transmitted intensity is
cos2θ

Use the Law of Malus!
I = I_o cos ^2 (theta)
so for part c it will be
.4 = .5 cos^2 (theta)
But you have to do 90-theta to get the real value. You can draw a diagram and you can see that doing arccos will give you the wrong angle value.
Part d you can do the law of malus again!
I2= ½(I0)cos2((90- (answer to part c/2)
You are solving for I2/I0. That should help.

1. What is optical activity?

Optical activity is the ability of a substance to rotate the plane of polarized light. This rotation is caused by the molecular structure of the substance, specifically the arrangement of chiral molecules.

2. How does sugar exhibit optical activity?

Sugar is a chiral molecule, meaning it has a non-superimposable mirror image. As a result, it can rotate polarized light in a specific direction depending on the orientation of its molecules.

3. What is the relationship between the concentration of sugar and its optical activity?

The amount of sugar present in a solution directly affects its optical activity. The higher the concentration of sugar, the greater the rotation of polarized light.

4. Can other substances exhibit optical activity?

Yes, many other substances can exhibit optical activity. This includes other chiral molecules such as amino acids and proteins, as well as certain crystals and gases.

5. How is the optical activity of sugar measured?

The optical activity of sugar is measured using a polarimeter, which measures the angle of rotation of polarized light passing through a solution of sugar. The specific rotation of a substance, which is its ability to rotate light per unit concentration, can also be calculated using this data.