Pertubation and density matrix

In summary, the author Robert W. Boyd uses perturbation theory on a two-level system and obtains a steady-state solution for the dynamics equation of the density matrix. This solution is represented by the equation w = w_0 + w_1 e^{-i\delta t} + w_{-1}e^{i\delta t}, where w represents the inversion of population between the excited and ground levels, and \Omega and \delta represent the frequencies of the pump and probe fields, respectively. However, there are questions about this solution being time-dependent, even though it is referred to as a steady-state solution. Additionally, there is confusion about the physical significance of the first-order solutions and their contributions.
KFC
Hi there, I am reading a text by Robert W. Boyd "Nonlinear optics", in page 228, he used pertubation theory on two-level system and let the steady-state solution of the dynamics equation of density matrix as

[tex]w = w_0 + w_1 e^{-i\delta t} + w_{-1}e^{i\delta t}[/tex]

where [tex]w=\rho_{bb} - \rho_{aa}[/tex] is the inversion of population between level b (excited) and level a (ground), [tex]\Omega+\delta[/tex] is the frequency of the probe field, [tex]\Omega[/tex] is the frequency of the pump field. I have few questions

1) the author said the solution shown above is steady-state solution, but why it is time-dependent?

2) we know that, [tex]w[/tex] must be real, so [tex]w_1=w_{-1}^*[/tex], but if for [tex]w_1[/tex] only, is there any physical significance? Why we have to consider the first-order solution like that? What contribution of [tex]w_1[/tex] and [tex]w_{-1}[/tex] made?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Steady-state solutions need not be independent of time. (Consider the case of a forced harmonic oscillator)

weejee said:
1) Steady-state solutions need not be independent of time. (Consider the case of a forced harmonic oscillator)

Yes, in that case, it is time dependent. But this is so confusing. In wiki, about steady state (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steady_state), it puts : "A system in a steady state has numerous properties that are unchanging in time. ..." So if the properties are unchanging in time, why it can be time related?

Moreover, for the problem I mentioned above, it is about several first-order ODEs. It obtins the steady soultions by solving the equations when the time derivative of the variables equal to ZERO. If the time derivative of the variables equal ZERO, the only possibiliy is the solution is time-independent or constant, isn't it?

1. What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used to approximate the behavior of a system when it is subject to a small perturbation, or disturbance, from its original state. It is particularly useful in quantum mechanics to study the effects of external forces on a system.

2. How is perturbation theory used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is used to calculate the behavior of a system when it is subject to a small external force. By treating the perturbation as a small disturbance to the system's original state, perturbation theory allows us to make accurate predictions about the system's behavior without having to solve the full, complex equations of quantum mechanics.

3. What is a density matrix?

A density matrix is a mathematical representation of the state of a quantum system. It is used to describe the probability of finding a particle in a particular quantum state, taking into account the effects of quantum entanglement and superposition.

4. How is the density matrix related to perturbation theory?

In perturbation theory, the density matrix is used to calculate the changes in the quantum state of a system due to an external perturbation. By finding the change in the density matrix, we can determine how the system's state has been altered by the perturbation.

5. What are some practical applications of perturbation theory and density matrix?

Perturbation theory and density matrix are used in a wide range of fields, including quantum computing, condensed matter physics, and atomic and molecular physics. They are also essential in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as chemical reactions, and in predicting the properties of new materials. They have also been applied in areas such as quantum optics, nuclear physics, and cosmology.