First order pertubation of L_y operator

In summary, the matrix representation of the ket state ##|\psi^0_a\rangle## is given by:L_y = \frac{i \hbar}{\sqrt{2}} \left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & -1 \end{array}\right]The first order energyshift for n = 2 is given by:E^1_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} ( W_{aa}+W_{bb} \pm \sqrt{(W_{aa
renec112
Hi, I am trying to solve an exam question i failed. It's abput pertubation of hydrogen.
I am given the following information:

The matrix representation of [tex] L_y [/tex] is given by:
[tex] L_y = \frac{i \hbar}{\sqrt{2}} \left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & -1 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

The hydrogen atom is now being pertubed by:
[tex] H' = \alpha L_y[/tex]

Task: Find the first order energyshift for n = 2
[tex] \{\psi_{200}, \psi_{21-1},\psi_{210},\psi_{211}\}[/tex]
with the pertubationMy attempt
I'll have to use degenerte pertubation theory, which states i can find the new energy shift by:
[tex] E^1_{\pm} = \frac{1}{2} ( W_{aa}+W_{bb} \pm \sqrt{(W_{aa}-W_{aa})^2 + 4 W_{ab}|^2}[/tex]
where
[tex] W_{ab} = <\psi^0_a | H' | \psi^0_b > [/tex]

I started by looking at the part
[tex] H' | \psi^0_b > [/tex]
Wich by simple matrix algebra gives me (let's call it A)
[tex] A = \frac{i \alpha \hbar}{\sqrt{2}} \left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \psi_{210} & 0 \\ 0 & -\psi_{21-1} & 0 & \psi_{211} \\ 0 & 0 & -\psi_{210} & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

This is where i fail, i think. Because now i have to do some eigenvalue problem at
[tex] W_{ab} = <\psi^0_a | A = \frac{i \alpha \hbar}{\sqrt{2}} [\psi_{200}, \psi_{21-1},\psi_{210},\psi_{211}] \left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \psi_{210} & 0 \\ 0 & -\psi_{21-1} & 0 & \psi_{211} \\ 0 & 0 & -\psi_{210} & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
And I'm not sure how i should do it. If i need to do some calculations first or something.

I would very much appreciate some hints :) !

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that you are mixing up what is a matrix element and what is a matrix. In the expression for ##W_{ab}##, what you have is a matrix element, not a matrix.

The ket state ##|\psi^0_a\rangle## is not a vector containing the ##\psi^0_a##, it is a set of different vectors, taking a different value depending on the value of ##a##. For example, in your representation, with ##a = 200##, that vector would be ##(1,0,0,0)^T##.

Furthermore, the expression you have given for the energy shifts of the degenerate perturbation theory is only valid for a two-level degenerate system while you are dealing with a 4-level degenerate system.

The more general approach to degenerate perturbation theory is to look at the restriction of your perturbation to the degenerate subspace, in your case this is a 4-level system, and find its eigenvalues and eigenvectors.Edit: A ##\LaTeX## hint: < and > are relations and are typeset as such. What you are looking for when constructing bras and kets are \langle and \rangle. Compare ##|\psi>## to ##|\psi\rangle##.

Thank you very much for the reply Orodruin.
So i understand i'll need to construct the 4-4 matrix and find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. I should construct this matrix by running
[tex]W_{ab} = \langle \psi^0_a | H' | \psi^0_b \rangle[/tex]

I tried this but the matrix i am getting out is:
[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 0 & 1\\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]
So i think I'm failing here.

Just to clarify my mistake, this is my approach to construct the matrix is to first look at, say column 2:
[tex]W_{ab} = \langle \psi^0_a | \alpha L_y | \psi^0_{21-1} \rangle[/tex]
discard all constants for now, and do basic matrix algebra from [tex]L_y[/tex]

[tex]\langle \psi^0_a |L_y | \psi^0_{21-1} \rangle = \langle \psi^0_a | \left[\begin{array}{cccc} 0 & 0 & -\psi_{210} & 0 \end{array}\right][/tex]

Now i have to try all 4 a's. But i only get something from psi 210, because it's the only orthogonal one. So i can see the only thing giving me something in column two is:
[tex]\langle \psi^0_{210}| \alpha L_y | \psi^0_{21-1} \rangle = -1[/tex]
+ some constants.

What do you think?

The procedure seems more or less correct. However, the third column is not correct.

Orodruin said:
The procedure seems more or less correct. However, the third column is not correct.
I see - thank you very much for you help :) !

What is first order perturbation of L_y operator?

First order perturbation of L_y operator is a mathematical technique used to analyze the effects of small changes in the observable quantity L_y, which represents the angular momentum in the y-direction. It is used to study the behavior of quantum systems when they are subjected to external perturbations.

Why is first order perturbation of L_y operator important?

First order perturbation of L_y operator allows us to understand the behavior of quantum systems with high accuracy. It helps us to predict the changes in the angular momentum of a system due to external perturbations, which is crucial in many fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, and condensed matter physics.

What is the formula for first order perturbation of L_y operator?

The formula for first order perturbation of L_y operator is given by:

ΔL_y = < ψ | L_y | ψ > + ∑ < ψ | ΔV | ψ >

where ΔL_y is the change in the observable quantity L_y, ψ is the wavefunction of the system, and ΔV is the perturbation potential.

What are the assumptions made in first order perturbation of L_y operator?

First order perturbation of L_y operator assumes that the perturbation is small, the system is in a stationary state, and the perturbation potential does not depend on time.

How is first order perturbation of L_y operator applied in practice?

In practice, first order perturbation of L_y operator is applied by solving the Schrodinger equation with the perturbation potential included. This gives us the wavefunction of the perturbed system, which can then be used to calculate the expectation value of L_y and other observables.