How Does a Bat Rotate and Translate After Being Struck by a Ball?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a uniform rod when a ball is thrown at one end. It is determined that there will be both rotational and translational motion, with the rod moving in a circular path and also translating in the direction of the force applied by the ball. The center of mass of the rod will travel in a straight line parallel to the force caused by the ball. The velocity and angular velocity can be calculated using the principles of conservation of linear and angular momentum. The conversation also addresses the fact that the topic has been discussed multiple times and repeating the question will not change the answers given.
schaafde
Let's say I have a uniform rod lying on a table in a frictionless environment. Now I throw a ball with a certain velocity at one end of the bat. How can I describe the motion of that bat. I need to make it seem like it is going in a circle. I know it will move back and rotate but I don't know exactly how. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
there should be rotational and translational motion.
rotational motion: Since the rod is uniform and force is only applied on one end of the rod, there will be a torque about the axis (geometrical center of rod)

translational motion: At the same time,the rod will also be moving straight in the direction of the force.

these 2 motions will occur at the same time. The center of mass of the rod will travel in a straight line parallel to the line of the force caused by the ball.or at least that's what i think it will happen =D

You have made at least 4 threads about this. If you don't like the answers people give you, asking the question again won't help.

In this case, the rod will translate as well as rotate, the velocity of centre of mass will depend upon the mass and vel. of ball which can be calculated by conservation of linear momentum.The bat will rotate about its centre of mass with an angular velocity which can be determined by conserving angular momentum.

The motion of the bat can be described as a combination of linear and rotational motion. When the ball hits one end of the bat, it exerts a force on the bat, causing it to move in a linear direction. However, due to the fact that the bat is rotating about a free axis (the point where it is in contact with the table), it will also rotate around this axis. This rotation is caused by the torque (a rotational force) applied to the bat by the ball.

The exact motion of the bat will depend on the velocity and angle at which the ball hits the bat, as well as the mass and length of the bat. However, in general, the bat will move in a circular path as it rotates around the free axis. The speed of the rotation will also depend on the initial velocity of the ball and the moment of inertia of the bat (a measure of its resistance to rotational motion).

To accurately describe the motion of the bat, you can use principles of rotational dynamics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the conservation of angular momentum. By taking into account the initial conditions and the forces acting on the bat, you can calculate the trajectory and speed of the bat as it moves and rotates in response to the impact of the ball.

Additionally, you may also want to consider the effects of air resistance and any other external forces that may affect the motion of the bat. These factors can be incorporated into your calculations to provide a more accurate description of the bat's motion.

Overall, the motion of the bat can be described as a combination of linear and rotational motion, and can be analyzed using principles of rotational dynamics to determine its trajectory and speed.

FAQ: How Does a Bat Rotate and Translate After Being Struck by a Ball?

1. What is rotation about a free axis?

Rotation about a free axis refers to the movement of an object around an axis that is not fixed or constrained. This means that the axis can move freely in space, allowing for more complex and varied rotations.

2. How is rotation about a free axis different from rotation about a fixed axis?

The main difference between rotation about a free axis and rotation about a fixed axis is the level of movement and flexibility. Rotation about a fixed axis only allows for movement along one specific axis, while rotation about a free axis allows for movement in any direction.

3. What are some real-world examples of rotation about a free axis?

One example of rotation about a free axis is the movement of a gymnast on the uneven bars. The bars themselves can rotate freely, allowing the gymnast to perform complex movements and rotations. Another example is the rotation of a planet around its own axis in space.

4. How is rotation about a free axis used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, rotation about a free axis is used to study and understand the motion of objects in three-dimensional space. This type of rotation is also used in designing and creating structures and machines that require complex movements and rotations.

5. What factors can affect rotation about a free axis?

The main factors that can affect rotation about a free axis are the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the object, as well as the angle and speed at which the rotation occurs. External forces, such as friction and air resistance, can also impact the rotation of an object about a free axis.

Back