How does a wave pass thru a medium?

• Thread starter khurram usman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Medium Wave
In summary, waves are transmitted through a medium by transferring energy between particles. The speed of a wave passing through a medium is determined by the properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity. Waves can pass through all types of mediums, but the type of medium can affect their speed and behavior. The amplitude of a wave can change as it passes through a medium due to interactions with the medium. Waves cannot pass through a vacuum because there is no medium for them to travel through.
khurram usman
i mean i know particles move up and down but i want to go into a bit more detail.consider a constant fequency wave passing thru a rope.now what i want to know is that when the wave passes do all the particles bcome crest and trough turn by turn or do some specific particles (those which bcame crest and trough on the first wavelength) bcome crests and trough again and again after each wavelength?
kindly xplain

Physics news on Phys.org
Each particle reached by the wave oscillates up and down (for a transverse wave on a rope), between two extreme positions.

1. How are waves transmitted through a medium?

Waves are transmitted through a medium when energy is transferred from one particle to another. As a wave travels through a medium, each particle of the medium moves back and forth, but the overall motion of the wave is in a single direction.

2. What determines the speed of a wave passing through a medium?

The speed of a wave passing through a medium is determined by the properties of the medium, including its density, elasticity, and temperature. In general, waves travel faster through denser and more elastic materials, and slower through less elastic materials.

3. Can waves pass through all types of mediums?

Yes, waves can pass through all types of mediums, including solids, liquids, and gases. The type of medium may affect the speed and behavior of the wave, but it does not prevent the wave from passing through.

4. How does the amplitude of a wave change as it passes through a medium?

The amplitude of a wave can change as it passes through a medium due to factors such as absorption, reflection, and refraction. These interactions with the medium can cause the wave to lose or gain energy, resulting in a change in amplitude.

5. Can waves pass through a vacuum?

No, waves cannot pass through a vacuum because there is no medium for the wave to travel through. Waves require a medium to transfer energy, so they cannot exist in a vacuum where there are no particles present.