Minimum Critical Power Ratio (MCPR) for a BWR

In summary, the minimum critical power ratio for a typical 1000 MWe BWR operating at 100% power can be calculated using the given data and equations. The axial linear power shape can be expressed as q'(z) = q'(ref)e^(-az/L)sin(az/L), with a value of 1.96. The value of q'(ref) can be determined by setting q'(max) to 44 kW/m. The critical bundle power is given as 9319 kW. After solving for z and q'(ref), the critical power ratio can be calculated using the equation: Minimum Critical Power Ratio = Critical Power/Operating Power.
antony1103
From Todreas & Kazimi, Nuclear Systems I, Problem 2-3

1. Homework Statement

Calculate the minimum critical power ratio for a typical 1000 MWe BWR operating at 100% power using the data in Tables 1 – 2, 1 – 3, and 2 – 3. Assume that:

a) The axial linear power shape can be expressed as

q’(z) = q’(ref)e^(-az/L)sin (az/L)

where a = 1.96. Determine q’(ref) such that q’(max) = 44 kW/m

b) The critical bundle power is 9319 kW

2. Homework Equations

Minimum Critical Power Ratio = Critical Power/Operating Power
(unfortunately, the textbook is sparse in its relevant equations and examples)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For q’(z) to be a maximum, e^(-a/L)sin (az/L) must be maximum. This maximum occurs when the derivative with respect to z/L is zero (or at the ends). Solving this, I find z = L*tan^(-1)(pi/a)/pi = 0.322L, and q'(ref) = 4685 kW/m. From here I have no clue what to do (especially with the given critical bundle power).

Physics news on Phys.org
I was on the right track and got the answer after a little frustration. Thanks anyway though! I'll have to remember this site when I am having trouble in my NUC E/M E classes this year.

did you ever figure out what to do with the critical bundle power... i know this is an old thread. sorry

1. What is Minimum Critical Power Ratio (MCPR) for a BWR?

The Minimum Critical Power Ratio (MCPR) for a BWR (Boiling Water Reactor) is the minimum ratio of the thermal power produced by the reactor to the steam flow rate required to remove the heat, without causing the fuel to overheat. It is a safety parameter that ensures the reactor remains under control and prevents fuel damage.

2. How is MCPR calculated for a BWR?

MCPR is calculated by dividing the thermal power produced by the reactor (in megawatts) by the steam flow rate (in kilograms per second) required to remove the heat. This calculation takes into account the fuel design, operating conditions, and coolant flow rate.

3. What is the significance of MCPR in BWRs?

The MCPR is an important safety parameter in BWRs because it ensures that the fuel remains adequately cooled and prevents it from overheating. If the MCPR is too low, it can lead to fuel damage and potentially a nuclear accident. Therefore, maintaining a sufficient MCPR is crucial for safe and stable operation of a BWR.

4. How is MCPR monitored and controlled in a BWR?

The MCPR is continuously monitored and controlled by the reactor's control and protection systems. These systems adjust the reactor's power output and coolant flow rate to maintain a safe and stable MCPR. Additionally, periodic testing and analysis are conducted to ensure that the MCPR remains within the safe range.

5. What factors can affect the MCPR in a BWR?

Several factors can affect the MCPR in a BWR, including changes in the reactor's operating conditions, variations in fuel design or quality, and the presence of impurities in the coolant. Additionally, any malfunctions or failures in the control and protection systems can also impact the MCPR. Regular maintenance and monitoring are crucial to ensure the MCPR remains within safe limits.