Three phase AC concepts and problems

In summary: Thanks for letting me know.In summary, the conversation discusses three loads connected in parallel across a 12.47 kV three-phase supply. The total complex power, power factor, and supply current are calculated. A Y-connected capacitor bank is then added to improve the power factor to 0.8 lagging, and the new line current is determined. A formula error in the attempt at the solution is identified and corrected.
PainterGuy
Hi

Problem:
Three loads are connected in parallel across a 12.47 kV three-phase supply.
Load 1: Inductive load, 60 kW and 660 kvar.
Load 2: Capacitive load, 240 kW at 0.8 power factor.
Load 3: Resistive load of 60 kW.
(a) Find the total complex power, power factor, and the supply current.
(b) A Y-connected capacitor bank is connected in parallel with the loads.
Find the total kvar and the capacitance per phase in μF to improve the overall
power factor to 0.8 lagging. What is the new line current?

Attempt at the solution:
Please have a look here, or the code below which might some formatting errors.

Three loads
are connected in parallel across a 12.47 kV three-phase supply.Load 1: Inductive load, 60 kW and 660 kvar.Load
2: Capacitive load, 240 kW at 0.8 power factor.Load 3: Resistive load of 60 kW.(a) Find the total complex
power, power factor, and the supply current.(b) A Y-connected capacitor bank is connected in parallel with the loads.

Find the total kvar and the capacitance per phase in ##\mu##F to improve the overallpower factor to 0.8 lagging. What is
the new line current?Load 1: ##\mathbf{S}_{l o a d 1} =60 k +j 660 k##Load 2: Using Power Factor ## =\frac{P}{S} =\cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i}) \Longrightarrow S =\frac{P}{\cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i})} =\frac{240 k}{0.8} =300 k## ;##S =\vert \mathbf{S}\vert =\sqrt[{2}]{P^{2} +\vert Q\vert ^{2}} \Longrightarrow \vert Q\vert =\sqrt[{2}]{S^{2} -P^{2}} =\sqrt[{2}]{300 k^{2} -240 k^{2}} =180 k####\mathbf{S}_{l o a d 2} =240 k -j 180 k##Load 3: ##\mathbf{S}_{l o a d 3} =60 k +j 0####\mathbf{S}_{t o t a l} =\left (60 k +j 660 k\right ) +\left (240 k -j 180 k\right ) +60 k =360 k +j 480 k##Using ##S =\vert \mathbf{S}\vert =\sqrt[{2}]{P^{2} +\vert Q\vert ^{2}}## \qquad and\qquad Power Factor ## =\frac{P}{S} =\cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i})####S =\vert \mathbf{S}\vert =\sqrt[{2}]{P^{2} +\vert Q\vert ^{2}}## ## =\sqrt[{2}]{360 k^{2} +\vert 480 k\vert ^{2}} =600 k####\frac{P}{S} =\cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i}) \Longrightarrow \cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i}) =\frac{360 k}{600 k} =0.6##Assuming ##12.47## ##k V## as RMS line voltage of wye-connected source.Using##V_{L} =\sqrt[{2}]{3} V_{p}## where ##V_{L} =V_{a b} =V_{b c} =V_{b c}## and ##V_{p} =V_{a n} =V_{b n} =V_{c n}##Also the line voltages lead their corresponding phase voltages by ##30 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}##, i.e.##\mathbf{V}_{L} =\left (\sqrt[{2}]{3} V_{p}\right )\angle \left (\theta _{V_{p}} +30 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}\right )#### \Longrightarrow V_{p} =V_{a n} =\frac{V_{L}}{\sqrt[{2}]{3}} =\frac{12.47 k}{\sqrt[{2}]{3}} =7.2## ##k V##hence ##\mathbf{V}_{a n} =7.2 k \angle 0 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}####\mathbf{S}_{t o t a l} =360 k +j 480 k## which means total power supplied is ##360## ##k W## and ##480## ##k V A R##by all three phases of the source therefore power supplied by one phaseof the source
is ##120 k +j 160 k##.Using ##\mathbf{S} =\mathbf{V}_{r m s} \mathbf{I}_{r m s}^{ \ast }####\mathbf{S} =\mathbf{V}_{r m s} \mathbf{I}_{r m s}^{ \ast } \Longrightarrow \mathbf{I}_{r m s}^{ \ast } =\frac{\mathbf{S}}{\mathbf{V}_{r m s}} =\frac{120 k +j 160 k}{7.2 k \angle 0 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}} =27.78 \angle 53.13 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}#### \Longrightarrow \mathbf{I}_{r m s} =27.78 \angle -53.13 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}##(b)Per phase power supplied by the source is ##120 k +j 160 k####\cos (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i}) =0.6#### \Longrightarrow \theta _{1} =53.13 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}####\theta _{2} =\cos ^{ -1} (0.8) =36.9 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}####\theta _{1}## is the original power factor angle and ##\theta _{2}## is the desired angle. Likewise, ##Q_{1}##is the original reactive power and ##Q_{2}## is the desired reactive power at ##\theta _{2}##.##Q_{i n j e c t e d} =Q_{1} -Q_{2} =P (\tan \theta _{1} -\tan \theta _{2}) =120 k (\tan 53.13 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}} -\tan 36.9 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}) =70## ##k V A R##Original per phase power supplied by the source is ##120 k +j 160 k##After addition of capacitor power supplied is##\left (120 k +j 160 k\right ) +(0 -70 k) =120 k +j 90 k##Using ##C =\frac{Q_{C}}{\omega V r m s^{2}}####C =\frac{Q_{C}}{\omega V r m s^{2}} =\frac{70 k}{2 \pi \times 60 \times 7.2 k^{2}} =3.6## ##\mu F##Using formula \#1:##R =\frac{V_{r m s}^{2}}{P} =\frac{7.2 k^{2}}{120 k} =432## \ \ \ ;
\ \ \ \ ##X =\frac{V_{r m s}^{2}}{Q} =\frac{7.2 k^{2}}{90 k} =576##As power factor is lagging therefore ##\mathbf{Z} =432 +j 576####\mathbf{I}_{a} =\frac{\mathbf{V}_{a n}}{\mathbf{Z}} =\frac{7.2 k \angle 0 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}}{432 +j 576} =13.33 \angle -36.9 \mbox{{\ensuremath{{}^\circ}}}##Using different formula \#2:##V_{r m s} I_{r m s}## ##\angle \left (\theta _{v} -\theta _{i}\right ) =P +j Q####7.2 k I_{r m s}## ##\angle \left (0 -\theta _{i}\right ) =120 k +j 90 k#### \Longrightarrow I_{r m s} \angle -\theta _{i} =20.83 \angle 36.87#### \Longrightarrow \mathbf{I}_{a} =20.83 \angle -36.87##

My question:
Although I was able to find the line current in part (b) using formula #2 but am still curious to know that what went wrong with formula #1. I have used it a couple of times in the past to get the correct result. Where am I going wrong? I'm getting wrong Z which in turn leads to wrong value for Ia. I believe that the correct value for Z is 207.52+j207.39. Could you please help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for giving it a look. I have realized that it should have been S=Vrms^2/Z*, and it looks like that formula #1 is a wrong way get Z. Thank you.

Likes scottdave
PainterGuy said:
Thank you for giving it a look. I have realized that it should have been S=Vrms^2/Z*, and it looks like that formula #1 is a wrong way get Z. Thank you.
OK, good. I had started to look at it, but had not yet figured out enough to post a meaningful response.

Likes PainterGuy

1. What is three phase AC?

Three phase AC (alternating current) is a type of electrical power transmission that uses three alternating currents that are out of phase with each other. This allows for more efficient and balanced power delivery compared to single phase AC.

2. How does three phase AC work?

In a three phase AC system, three power lines are used, each carrying a different phase of AC current. These phases are spaced evenly apart, creating a balanced and continuous flow of power. The phases are out of sync with each other, which allows for a constant supply of power even when one phase is experiencing a dip or surge.

3. What are the benefits of using three phase AC?

One of the main benefits of three phase AC is its efficiency. It allows for a more balanced and constant supply of power, reducing the strain on the system and minimizing power loss. It is also more cost-effective and easier to control and regulate compared to single phase AC.

4. What are some common problems with three phase AC systems?

Some common problems with three phase AC systems include voltage imbalances, power surges, and overloading. These issues can cause equipment damage and power outages, so it is important to regularly monitor and maintain the system to prevent these problems.

5. How can I troubleshoot problems with three phase AC?

If you are experiencing issues with your three phase AC system, you can begin troubleshooting by checking for any loose connections or damaged components. You may also want to check the voltage levels in each phase to ensure they are balanced. If the problem persists, it is best to consult a professional electrician for further assistance.