How large torque is needed for acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics task involving a disk with specific measurements. They are asked to show some effort in solving the problem and to follow the guidelines for receiving homework help.
bolskipolski
Hi! I am trying to solve a physics task, but can't get it right. Would really appreciate some help..

A disk of uniform thickness has a radius of 2cm and the mass of 2kg. How large torque is needed to accelerate it from the rest up to 60 rad/s in 6seconds?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get help you must show some effort. Read the rules regarding homework help and follow the template (you have posted the question but need to list the relevant equations and your attempt at a solution).

What he said. You said you can't get it right which implies you have at least had a go. Tell us what you did and we can help you find the error. This approach helps you learn and saves us having to repeat stuff you already know.

1. How is torque related to acceleration?

Torque is the measure of rotational force applied to an object. It is directly related to acceleration because torque is what causes an object to rotate, and this rotation can lead to linear motion and acceleration.

2. What is the formula for calculating torque for acceleration?

The formula for calculating torque for acceleration is T = I x α, where T is torque, I is the moment of inertia, and α is the angular acceleration. This formula relates the rotational force (torque) to the mass and distribution of the object (moment of inertia) and the rate of change in rotational speed (angular acceleration).

3. How do you determine the amount of torque needed for a specific acceleration?

The amount of torque needed for a specific acceleration depends on the mass and moment of inertia of the object, as well as the desired angular acceleration. Using the formula T = I x α, you can calculate the necessary torque by plugging in the values for I and α.

4. What factors affect the amount of torque needed for acceleration?

The amount of torque needed for acceleration is affected by several factors including the mass and moment of inertia of the object, the desired angular acceleration, and the force of friction or resistance acting against the rotation of the object. Additionally, the distribution of mass within the object and the direction of the applied force can also impact the required torque.

5. Can you have acceleration without torque?

No, acceleration cannot occur without torque. Torque is necessary to cause an object to rotate, and this rotation can lead to linear motion and acceleration. Without torque, an object will remain at rest or in a state of constant motion.