What is the angular acceleration of the rod?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angular acceleration of a post after a cable suddenly breaks. After some calculations and clarifications about the question, it is determined that the correct answer is 1.96 rad/s^2.
Asad Raza

Homework Statement

A thin, uniform, 18.5 kg post, 2.10 m long, is held vertically using a cable and is attached to a 5.00 kg mass and a pivot at its bottom end (as shown below). The string attached to the 5.00 kg mass passes over a massless, frictionless pulley and pulls perpendicular to the post. Suddenly the cable breaks. Find the angular acceleration of the post about the pivot just after the cable breaks in rad/s2. Assume g=9.8m/s2[See the uploaded image for clarity]

Homework Equations

T=I(Alpha)
Anticlockwise= Clockwise Torque

The Attempt at a Solution

(Tension in cable) (2.14)=5x9.8x1.64
Torque=(Tension in cable)(2.14)
I=moment of inertia= 1/3 (16)(2.14)^2

I calculated the angular acceleration by dividing Torque by Moment of inertia as shown above. Unfortunately, the answer doesn't turn out to be correct. Help will be appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 860
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not assume that the tension in the cable equals the weight of the mass. (If it did, the mass wouldn't fall.)

Asad Raza said:
(Tension in cable) (2.14)=5x9.8x1.64

Asad Raza said:
2.10 m long
Is it 2.10 or 2.14?

Doc Al said:
Do not assume that the tension in the cable equals the weight of the mass. (If it did, the mass wouldn't fall.)
This is a bit tricky. The question should really say "shortly after the cable breaks".
The problem is that although we happily refer to inextensible strings (and massless pulleys, etc.), what we generally mean is that it is so near to inextensible that it does not materially affect the answer. In reality, all strings have some elasticity, but maybe with a very high spring constant.
Accepting that, it follows that the string will continue to exert the same tension until the pole has moved a bit, but that movement comes from its acceleration. Hence the acceleration of the suspended mass is irrelevant to the instantaneous acceleration of the pole.

haruspex said:
This is a bit tricky. The question should really say "shortly after the cable breaks".
I agree! This sort of sloppiness always bugs me. :smile:

haruspex said:
Is it 2.10 or 2.14?
Yeah sorry 2.1 is the length. Otherwise, is the working correct?

Asad Raza said:
Yeah sorry 2.1 is the length. Otherwise, is the working correct?
No.
As I mentioned, you need to interpret the question as "shortly" after the cable breaks, rather than immediately after. The distinction is subtle, as I described in post #4, but the consequence is that you need to assume that the string is not changing length at all. What does that mean regarding the acceleration of the suspended mass? Consider Doc Al's post #2.

Attempt it like this :

Edit :
I just realized that i have written

## \alpha (l2) = a ##

which is wrong instead it should be:

## \alpha (l2-l1) = a ##

but you get the idea

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2jHGkWhC0E2S1lxUEVwbDVab0E/view?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
PumpkinCougar95 said:
Attempt it like this :

Edit :

## \alpha (l2) = a ##

## \alpha (l2-l1) = a ##

but you get the idea

Yes, with the correction that's looking good. So what answer do you get?

1.95 rad/s^2

Ahh let me try

PumpkinCougar95 said:
Attempt it like this :

Edit :

## \alpha (l2) = a ##

## \alpha (l2-l1) = a ##

but you get the idea

Ah... Didn't notice that you are not the originator of the thread. Please do not post complete solutions like that, it is against forum rules.

PumpkinCougar95 said:
1.95 rad/s^2
I'm getting 2.12. Wondering about whether this discrepancy is just an arithmetic error?

Asad Raza said:
I'm getting 2.12. Wondering about whether this discrepancy is just an arithmetic error?
Please post all your working.

haruspex said:
Ah... Didn't notice that you are not the originator of the thread. Please do not post complete solutions like that, it is against forum rules.

Sorry, Didn't know.

PumpkinCougar95 said:
1.95 rad/s^2
Actually, I copied different values in the question. The answer with these values is 1.96 rad/s^2.

Thank you for help.

haruspex said:
Please post all your working.
Thank you. I understood the question.

Thank you again for help.

Asad Raza said:
Actually, I copied different values in the question. The answer with these values is 1.96 rad/s^2.
That's what I get.

Is that I(angular a)= (mg-ma)(2.10-0.5) ?

1. What is angular acceleration?

Angular acceleration is a measure of how quickly the rotational velocity of an object changes. It is the rate of change of angular velocity over time and is usually measured in radians per second squared.

2. How is angular acceleration different from linear acceleration?

Angular acceleration is specific to rotational motion, while linear acceleration is specific to linear motion. Angular acceleration measures how an object's rotational velocity changes, while linear acceleration measures how an object's linear velocity changes.

3. How is angular acceleration calculated?

Angular acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in angular velocity by the change in time. The formula for angular acceleration is: α = (ω2 - ω1) / (t2 - t1), where α is the angular acceleration, ω2 and ω1 are the final and initial angular velocities, and t2 and t1 are the final and initial times.

4. What factors affect the angular acceleration of a rod?

The angular acceleration of a rod can be affected by factors such as the mass and distribution of mass along the rod, the force or torque applied to the rod, and the moment of inertia of the rod.

5. Can angular acceleration be negative?

Yes, angular acceleration can be negative. This indicates that the object is slowing down its rotational velocity or changing direction of rotation. A positive angular acceleration indicates an increase in rotational velocity or direction of rotation.