Jobs involving Physics research and travel?

In summary, a geologist does field research in order to collect data or perform experimental measurements to support a theory. If they work for an oil or mineral company, they may travel to locations where there may be mineral deposits. If they specialize in remote sensing, they may collect data from a satellite.
OboePhysicsKat
I'm going to be at university soon, so I'm not a student quite yet, but I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about what I will do after university, so; I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously. So, does anyone know of a job that involves this kind of travel to these kinds of places, but that involves research that is more closely connected to physics/theoretical physics? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know there is no such thing as theoretical physics fieldwork.

OboePhysicsKat said:
I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously.

Geology, geography; to-may-to, to-mah-to, huh?

There is quite a difference between geology and geography. You might want to read up on these two fields:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology

If you are looking for travel to exotic locales, you can't beat this geologist's resume:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Schmitt

I doubt NASA would have sent a geographer in his place.

Astrophysics might involve some travel to observatories...

OboePhysicsKat said:
I'm going to be at university soon, so I'm not a student quite yet, but I don't think it's ever too early to start thinking about what I will do after university, so; I'm very interested in the way certain geologists work, as they go to strange and quite dangerous places in the world to complete their research, however I'm not interested in the type of information they gather as it's too closely related to geographical research, obviously. So, does anyone know of a job that involves this kind of travel to these kinds of places, but that involves research that is more closely connected to physics/theoretical physics? Thank you!
If one does pure theory, one does not need to travel to exotic places, except for collecting data. Solving systems of equations does not involve travel, except to conferences perhaps.

Some geologists do field research, so they might travel to some location in order to perform experimental measurements or collect specimens in support of a theory.

Certainly, some geologists work for oil and mineral companies, so they would travel to locations where there are potentially mineral deposits. On the other hand, if they specialize in remote sensing, then they may simply travel to the location where a particular satellite is controlled and collect information/data at that location.

Geographical research may involve travel to locations of interest.

Metereological stuff. Should be quite afew topics in there that necessates exotic field work.

What is the typical job description for a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. They conduct research, develop theories and models, and design experiments to test their hypotheses. They may also work on developing new technologies or applications based on their research.

What are the job prospects for a physicist?

The job prospects for physicists are generally good, with a projected job growth of 7% from 2019-2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. There is a high demand for physicists in industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology, as well as in government and academic research institutions.

What are some typical work environments for physicists?

Physicists may work in a variety of settings, including laboratories, offices, and classrooms. They may also work in the field, conducting experiments and collecting data in remote locations. Some physicists may also have the opportunity to travel for conferences, collaborations, and research projects.

What skills are needed for a career in physics research?

A successful career in physics research requires strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and computer science. Excellent communication skills are also important for presenting research findings and collaborating with other scientists.

How important is travel for a career in physics research?

Travel is an important aspect of a career in physics research. Physicists may need to travel to conferences, workshops, and other research institutions to present their work and stay updated on the latest developments in their field. They may also have opportunities to travel for fieldwork or collaborations with other scientists.