Understanding Gravity: The Role of Forces in Momentum Questions

• Thread starter 404
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the downward force of gravity is subtracted from the upward force of the water/mattress, which leaves the guy at rest.
I was doing some momentum questions. There some that goes like "a man dives into water, and comes to a stop x seconds after reaching water, what force did the water act on him" or "stuntman jumps onto a mattress, matress compressed down x meters before he is brought to rest, what force did the matress apply on him?"
Basically, answer= (guys mass)(acc. of medium) + 9.8(guys mass)

Everytime I do those questions, I keep forgetting account for gravity, and I don't know why you are suppose to add 9.8*(guys mass). I mean, isn't gravity pulling the guy down, while the water/mattress's force is pushing the guy upwards, to stop him? So why do you add the 2 forces, if anything, wouldn't you subtract? (someone please clear this up for me :confused: )

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry for the late reply. In case you're still interested, here are my comments on this.

404 said:
I was doing some momentum questions. There some that goes like "a man dives into water, and comes to a stop x seconds after reaching water, what force did the water act on him" or "stuntman jumps onto a mattress, matress compressed down x meters before he is brought to rest, what force did the matress apply on him?"

Basically, answer= (guys mass)(acc. of medium) + 9.8(guys mass)

The matress supplies an upward force that has to do 2 things:

1.) Decelerate the man.
2.) Support his weight.

So if we apply Newton's second law to the man + mattress system we have:

[tex]\Sigma F=F_{mattress}-mg=ma[/tex]

So you are subtracting the two forces. And as you can see, upon solving for [itex]F{mattress}[/itex] you get [itex]mg+ma[/itex].

here's another way of looking at it...

downward force= (mg+ma)...this is applied onto the surface by the guy

for every force applied to the surface(mattress/water)...there will be an equal and opposite reaction by the surface in the upward direction...

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of attraction between objects with mass. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force between objects with mass. The strength of this force depends on the masses of the objects and the distance between them. The larger the mass, the stronger the force, and the greater the distance between objects, the weaker the force.

3. Who discovered gravity?

Sir Isaac Newton is credited with discovering gravity in the late 17th century. He developed the theory of gravity after observing the motion of objects and formulating his famous laws of motion.

4. Does gravity exist everywhere in the universe?

Yes, gravity is a universal force that exists everywhere in the universe. However, its strength can vary depending on the mass and distance of objects.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate or control gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and studying the force of gravity in hopes of finding ways to harness its power for future technologies.